The title of this post should have been 'Good Afternoon Part 3', but I thought that would have been too boring and repetitive, and perhaps would have lost me some visitors to B2B....Just saying!
But before the break in the weather, it was in fact my third good afternoon session, and although Conder Pool was a little underwhelming, the day was no less rewarding than the first two.
Conder Pool.
First to note, was that the Common Terns have deserted Conder Pool. I understand the last sighting was Friday 21 August, void of checking my records, this sounds like an average date for their departure.
Just four species of birds noted today, a Spotted Redshank, 8 Ruff, 3 Black-tailed Godwit, and 13 Little Grebe.
Saltcote Pond.
The or another Common Hawker seen again, also an Emperor Dragonfly, Brown Hawker, and 6 Common Darter.
Butterflies, a Painted Lady and Common Blue.
Birk Bank.
On and over the bog, a Common Hawker seen again, one here 7 August. Also 4 Black Darter and 4 Common Darter were all male.
As I came away from the bog I saw a Roe Deer, it was staring me in the face within 15 metres through the branches, but a pity it decided to move off as I fired the shutter. Also seen, was a male Stonechat in the same area I found a breeding pair on 15 July.
Garden First.
A little something of interest in the garden recently.

Your header is stunning indeed, Pete. The terns may have departed for another year, but like any good naturalist you find many other taxa to engage your curiosity and provide limitless pleasure. And other than the Roe Deer (who declined to linger anyway) they all had wings! Best wishes - David
ReplyDeleteCuriosity and endless pleasure, two expressions that say it all David.
DeleteRegards....Pete.
Good selection of insects there Pete and nice photos.
ReplyDeleteScorpionfly is interesting.
Sad to see the Terns depart but as they do others return to complete the cycle once again. Will be glad to hear the Pink Footed geese and Whoopers returning.
Ian Mitchell
Here in the Netherlands all the terns departed too. I saw still one today.
DeleteThanks Ian, and good to see the Hedgehog in your garden too.
DeleteRegards....Pete.
Hi Pete, beautiful serie photos of the butterflies. Here their was a lot of rain. But I like the dark clouds. Have a nice week.
ReplyDeleteI think you will have welcomed the rain and dark clouds after the heat.
DeleteRegards....Pete.
At the moment we have sun again.
DeleteHi Pete,
ReplyDeleteMarc’s header image is a great shot; the Speckled Wood is lovely, but the deer behind the bush is my personal favorite.
Best regards, Frank
I was pleased to have caught the rear end of the deer on camera as it disappeared, and sounds like you did too Frank.
DeleteRegards....Pete.
Painted Lady.. A truly magnificent butterfly. We have had a red admiral flying around our yard.
ReplyDeleteIt has been a good year for butterflies in the UK, hopefully in Europe too.
DeleteRegards Pete.
Mooie foto's van de insecten en vlinders Pete.
ReplyDeleteDe laatse foto is volgens mij een langpootmug en niet een schorpioenvlieg.
Groetjes Tinie
Thanks for looking in again with your nice comments. I will do some more research on the Scorpionfly Tinie.
ReplyDeleteRegards...Pete.
Hello Pete,
ReplyDeleteIt is wonderful to see these butterflies and dragonflies. Beautifully photographed, and the details are also nice and clear. Marc's header is truly a stunning header.
Kind regards,
Helma
Thank you Helma, pleased to hear you have cooled down now, and also pleased you enjoyed the post.
ReplyDeleteRegards....Pete.