BIRDING ON THE LUNE ESTUARY AND THE FOREST OF BOWLAND...........................................................................................BLACK DARTER PETE WOODRUFF

Thursday, 4 September 2014

....finishing with a raptor.

Rather than walk from Cockersands on Tuesday I decided to drive - and be guilty of polluting the atmosphere even more - to Cockerham Marsh where a good wander along the marsh edge resulted in finding 3 Yellow Wagtail, seen as two brilliant adult and a juvenile. A further wander past Bank End Farm to view the Cocker channel produced a 1st winter Mediterranean Gull and 5 Little Egret. 

The Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock held nothing of any major significance, though at least 2,000 Lapwing sounds like something of a contradiction of 'nothing'. Also noted in view from the bowling green, c.90 Golden Plover, 120 Curlew, 80 Redshank, 2 Goosander, and 2 Little Egret.

On Conder Pool, 10 Little Grebe and the Great-crested Grebe seen again. In the creeks, 3 Greenshank, a Spotted Redshank and Common Sandpiper, the single lingering Black-tailed Godwit, and 2 Grey Wagtail.


For a bigger commotion 'clik the pik'.

As I was about to leave, a commotion and a large number of gulls in the air above Conder Green, plus a call from a hawk-eyed birder looking up....


Osprey Warren Baker  

....had an Osprey circling and gaining height all the time before drifting off south....Wonderful stuff.


Red Admiral Marc Heath 

A Red Admiral in the Bank End area was the only butterfly I noted on the day.

Thanks to Warren and Marc for the posts excellent images.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pete,
    I think I was more excited about the Osprey here than the gulls were at your sighting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pete,
    The Osprey is such a great sight!
    I haven't seen many in France...
    Keep well, enjoy your sunday :)

    ReplyDelete