As I said in Wednesdays post, the report from Conder Pool will have to wait a few days. This was because of the chance finding of the spectacular Willow Emerald Damselfly on the Glasson Branch of the Lancaster Canal. So here it is....
Conder Pool/Green.
Five species in the creek, Curlew Sandpiper, Ruff, Lapwing, Teal, and Goosander.

Curlew Sandpiper Conder Pool. Pete Woodruff.
There was 3 Curlew Sandpiper on this visit, and frustratingly I find in a still from the video, that one bears a ring on its left leg.
Not viewing the bird through a telescope whilst making a video, and I failed to spot the ring....Shucks!
I achieved a count of 31 Greenshank on Conder Pool as a personal first and best, but this is four under an earlier count of 35 Greenshank by another observer. Also, 4 Spotted Redshank, 7 Black-tailed Godwit, 3 Common Sandpiper, 2 Ruff. Also, 2 Gadwall were almost certainly the breeding pair, and the Kingfisher put in an appearance.
In the creeks at high tide, 2 Mediterranean Gull, a Marsh Harrier was drifting over, and at least 150 Pink-footed Geese >south.
A Cormorant makes short work of an Eel for lunch on Conder Pool.
Hummingbird Hawk-moth.
Hummingbird Hawk-moth. Martin Jump.
A Humming bird Hawk-moth has visited our garden 18 times in the past weeks, since I saw the first one in late July.
Salvia. Pete Woodruff.
Over the last 8 sightings, the HBHM has consistently visited the Salvia in our garden, a pattern of behaviour which I mentioned in my last post. Since then I did some research to discover the Hummingbird Hawk-moth is a species known to engage in traplining, this involves traversing a specific route in which the insect checks specified plants that hold nectar, it does so repeatedly and in the same order.....Amazing!
Thanks to Martin for another of his excellent set of images of the Hummingbird Hawk-moth.
Willow Emerald Damselfly.
Willow Emerald Damselfly. Marc Heath.
I found just 8 records of Willow Emerald Damselfly in West Lancashire 2025/26....
2025
09 Sept Brockholes NR
25 Sept Brockholes NR
31 Aug Hest Bank
2026
15 July Lancaster
24 Aug Brockholes NR
07 Sept Lancaster Canal
14 Sept Lancaster Canal
17 Sept Catforth
Thanks to Marc for his excellent image of the male Willow Emerald Damselfly.
Good variety seen there again Pete. Must get some Salvia for my garden.
ReplyDeleteWhat a shame about not reading the ring on the Curlew Sandpiper.
You did well to catch the cormorant with the eel. Nice pictures as well.
Thanks for the update.
Ian Mitchell
Good idea about the Salvia for your garden, the moth visited twice again yesterday afternoon. As always, thanks for the visit Ian.
DeleteRegards....Pete.
Hi Pete.
ReplyDeleteThe cormorant had a battle with the eel—which it ultimately won—that was captured brilliantly; thanks to Marc for the hummingbird hawk-moth.
Regards, Frank
Sometimes the struggle with the Eel can be lengthy, but not this time, and I'm not aware the Cormorant is ever defeated.
DeleteThanks for looking in Frank....Pete.
By the way, did you mean thanks to Martin for the Hummingbird Hawk-moth Frank?
One does not wish to disparage the other observer’s count, but thirty-five seems more like an estimate than thirty-one. That smacks of precision. But what’s four Greenshanks among friends anyway? I am quite envious of your Hummingbird Hawkmoth and its regular appearance. I seldom see them here. Great report, as always, Pete. I am becoming a regular visitor to Conder Pool - vicariously, of course. This little video was delightful. Best regards - David
ReplyDeleteI'm pleased and much appreciate you are able to refer to my report as 'great as always' David, it gives me the encouragement to keep on keeping on.
DeleteRegards....Pete.
Somehow I missed the second video of the cormorant swallowing the eel. Fabulous! Now that’s really being in the right place at the right time!
ReplyDeleteThe Cormorant wasn't messing about was it David!
DeletePete.
That photo of the hummingbird hawk-moth in flight is truly magnificent. A wonderful post.
ReplyDeleteThe inflight image is truly magnificent as you say Sami, and I've learned a lot about this moth over the past few weeks.
ReplyDeleteRegards....Pete.