Conder Pool produced the goods with some big numbers again on Monday, but that excitement for me was overshadowed later by something even more exciting, and the report from Conder Pool on Birds2blog will have to wait a day or two.
Tales Of The Unexpected.
On ending a most enjoyable and fruitful session at Conder Pool on Monday, I decided to go look in on Saltcote Pond to see if perhaps the Common Hawker was still lingering since I had first found it there on 19 August, and had seen it here previously three times. The Common Hawker wasn't seen this time, but 2 Migrant Hawker and 2 Common Darter were. I also spied a Clouded Yellow butterfly here, but it moved on before I could get out the camera.
By now there was a shift in the weather, some nice blue sky, sunny spells, and a rise in the temperature. And so I changed my plan to retreat and go home, and decided to check the canal for a while, then maybe pay an unexpected return to Birk Bank to end the day.

Pete -
ReplyDeleteWell spotted for the Willow Emerald Damselfly, glad you got a picture, bet that made your day.
Thanks for the update will wait in anticipation for the next installment. Nice header picture.
Ian
Thanks Ian....Next instalment at the weekend, unless I find the likes of something rare or scarce, I don't have time for blogging otherwise, and this damselfly certainly made my day.
DeleteThanks again Ian....Pete.
Hello Pete,
ReplyDeleteI love these beautiful dragonflies and gorgeous damselflies.
You are showing a few very beautiful ones again. The dragonfly in your first photo, but also the beautiful damselflies in the other 2 photos, even showing a mating.
Regards, Helma
I hope this comment reaches you, because lately I’ve been ending up in the spam folders of many bloggers. They don't know that, but I can't reach some of them either.
The reading list hasn't been working on Blogger for over a week now, too.
Many thanks for your contribution and much appreciated compliments Helma. I now realise I'm not alone with the blogger problems, my sidebar links are also dysfunctional, and my last two header images in a smaller format than they should be.
DeleteKind Regards....Pete.
Hello Pete,
DeleteMost of the problems should be resolved now, and the links in the reading list should be working again. I was having trouble with my header, but that has since been adjusted (I did that myself). I hope all problems will be resolved very soon. It is a pity that your header turned out smaller, but fortunately, the beautiful damselfly is clearly visible.
Kind regards,
Helma
Hi Pete,
ReplyDeleteMy list isn't updating; there must be a problem with Blogger... Your dragonfly photos turned out really well; Martin's picture is lovely too—it surely required quite a bit of patience.
Best regards, Frank
Martin is very patient and a good photographer. Join the club with the blogger problems, quite a pain at the moment Frank.
ReplyDeleteKind Regards....Pete.
I am not quite sure of the relative rarity of these odenates, Pete, but I gather from your level of excitement that they are significant finds, so congratulations are in order. Speaking of dragonflies, have you ever read, “His Imperial Majesty: A Natural History of the Purple Emperor,” by Matthew Oates. Great account, well written with touches of pleasing humour. If you haven’t had the pleasure, I highly recommend it. Cold dark nights are coming up soon. What better way to spend an evening? Best regards - David
ReplyDeleteThe Willow Emerald Damselfly is at best scarce in our area, hence the extreme excitement you note David. Thank you for the heads up re 'His Imperial Majesty: A Natural History of the Purple Emperor', I will take a look soon and let you know if it is a purchase for me.
DeleteRegards....Pete.
Incredible photos. The last photo is a big favorite of mine
ReplyDeleteOne of mine too. Thank you Sami.
ReplyDeletePete.
The problems on blogger are fixed, now they sent me a message they will remove 6 videos. They doesn't work good they said. One of my dear Puck. Beautiful green insect. Sometimes in Denmark I see black insects but they are too fast for me. Have a nice weekend ! Caroline
ReplyDeleteYes Blogger problem solved, they also told me about the videos being deleted. Don't worry about the Puck video, you have your own copy for memories.
ReplyDeleteKind Regards Caroline....Pete.
Congratulations on finding a Willow Emerald Damselfly. Bet you felt good all day. They're be everywhere in a couple of years time. Take care.
ReplyDeleteI was going to be in touch with you on this, but was confident when you saw the post you would comment. I will continue to feel good about it a week later and beyond.
ReplyDeleteRegards and thanks Marc....Pete.
Great find Pete. Well done Steve
ReplyDelete