BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK RIVER CONDER HOWARD STOCKDALE

Thursday 13 May 2021

RO's....The Mission.

For the past five years I've found Ring Ouzel on Hawthorthwaite, this year I'm hoping to make it six. I was in the area yesterday, which was two days earlier than last year, when I found a singing male Ring Ouzel 14 May, the same day I had 5 Cuckoo in the same area of Bowland.

View Full Screen

As I stood on the bridge over the Marshaw Wyre I saw 4 Mistle Thrush, at least one of which can be heard singing in this footage. I was heading to the track on the east side of Hawthornthwaite, perhaps it was a good idea to check out Black Clough for the Ring Ouzel.

As I set out on the track, a Common Sandpiper flew across ahead of me, whilst the song of a Willow Warbler rang in my ears, with the call of a Cuckoo probably in the area around Tower Lodge. I saw just 3 Meadow Pipit and a lone Red Grouse, but was rewarded by 3 Stonechat, seen as two female and a male.

An hour on the west side of the fell drew a blank on the Stonechat, but 4 Sand Martin were in the air, with 6 Meadow Pipit, 4 Wren, a Willow Warbler, and another lone Red Grouse seen. The Sand Martin colony at Cam Brow appears defunct, though I've yet to linger to be sure.

View Full Screen

At the foot of Cam Brow, I was chuffed to find a pair of Stonechat feeding young. In the woodland opposite, which is strictly private and difficult to access anyway, a pair of Redstart seen briefly. 

The mission continues... 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pete... Beautiful video of Stonechat and I liked very much to ear the ring ouzel singing... Great work... Have a nice weekend 😊...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you all the best of luck with your RO mission, Pete. I feel more than lucky to have already had my RO fix close to home this year!

    I really enjoyed your two clips, and the landscape in that first clip looks fabulous - I'd love to be there.

    I still haven't had my first dragonfly/damselfly this year! I hope your efforts with them this year are fruitful. Fingers are crossed!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ana....Thank you for looking in and commenting, much appreciated.

    Richard....Not had any luck with the RO yet, but I have a good and reliable contact for info on 'this' bird. No dragons or damsel yet either, but there's a good time coming!

    ReplyDelete