BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND...................................................PIED FLYCATCHER ABBEYSTEAD 24 APRIL PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 20 February 2022

News & Views.

This morning I was in receipt of some excellent news and images regarding some of the management work completed on Conder Pool.

Redshank/Oystercatcher Conder Pool 18 Feb. Howard Stockdale.

From a personal point of view, it was the perfect medicine for my cure of the wind and rain currently battering the country.  The weather has been in the main, the cause of my being off the road for another one of those depressing weeks of no birding. But the header image of the stunning Black-tailed Godwit on Conder Pool yesterday, instantly killed storm Eunice for me.

 

Sand Martin Bank Conder Pool. Howard Stockdale.


The new islands and the Sand Martin bank are completed, though the birds probably won't use the bank this year as the ground will need to settle to be suitable for nesting.
..................................................................

Little Owl. Martin Jump.

Martin sent me a series of Little Owl images which I tried to produce as a slide show, but I failed as the file size was way over the limit of 100mb to publish with blogger. I decided on this as the best individual in the set.

Blackbird. Mike Robinson.

Mike sent me this excellent image of the leucistic Blackbird in his garden recently.

I'm grateful for the info and images from Howard. And for the images from Martin and Mike, they are all very much appreciated.

Early Days!

I was intrigued by the report of a Yellow Wagtail seen at Queens Manor, Lytham St Annes on 14 February. The earliest ever record of Yellow Wagtail in Lancashire, was of a bird seen 26 years ago on 23 March 1996.

1 comment:

  1. Apart from the obvious frustrations of one storm after another after another making birding virtually impossible, Pete, I hope that all is well and that you've not suffered any significant damage. We're OK here - so far!

    That's really good news about Conder Pool.

    That Little Owl image of Martin's is absolutely delightful.

    Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete