BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..............................................................................SCAUP CONDER POOL 5 MARCH PAUL ELLIS

Sunday 15 May 2022

Weather Permitting!

I've not had a days birding since Thursday 5 May, and it hurts for me to have to say that I'm in danger of suffering from a bout of depression. 

But hey....Wildlife always has something to interest, and one of a few events this week for me, was a couple of visits to check out the cemetery Nuthatch nesting in the Cypress tree. The video shows, first the female enters the nest hole, and doesn't emerge, the male then visits the hole, it doesn't appear to have food to offer the female, but something white shows at the nest hole, there's no exchange, and the object in the females bill disappears back into the hole with what appears to be a fecal sac....See for yourself. 

View videos Full Screen


Lancaster Swifts.

I saw my first 2 Swift yesterday 14 May high over our Bowerham garden. At least 8 Swift were in the Fairfield area where they breed annually, and I spotted 2 Swift from a moving car over Ashton Road.

Garstang House Martins.

To follow finding Tree Sparrows nesting on 9 April, there was another pleasant surprise for me at Garstang yesterday, when I found 6 House Martins with nests and one under construction, under the eaves of business property behind Booths in the town centre. 

Garden Bees.


Common Carder Bee in the garden performing acrobatic skills on Water Avens.


White-Tailed Bumblebee performing and briefly dangling from Aquilegia in the garden.

The next few days may see me avoiding any depression from lack of birding....Weather permitting.

Edit.

Not wanting to hide behind my errors....I was grateful to an admin at BWARS for the correction to the bottom video in the post, which I claimed to be White-Tailed Bumblebee Bombus lucorum which is how I have decided to leave it in the title above. It is in fact a Small Garden Bumblebee Bombus hortorum.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pete. Sorry to hear you've been feeling a bit down in the dumps lately. Times aren't easy at the moment, are they! If it wasn't for Nature raising the spirits, I don't know where I'd be. I've been managing to get out for short spells (maybe a couple of hours or so) quite frequently lately and it really helps. I had my first day out yesterday since 25th March!(took a picnic lunch).

    Enjoyed that Nuthatch video clip. I reckon the male probably said "I'm not carrying that in my mouth!"

    I also very much enjoyed the bee clips. You're starting to make me think that I should pay more attention to bee ID. I briefly was watching two largish bumbles in the garden today which were close to each other - one looked almost totally black and the other was extremely pale (almost white). Both had good pollen baskets. I was a bit busy at the time so neglected to try and photograph them, which I now regret. I have the Field Guide - I must try and find time to get into it.

    Do get out as much as you can, even if you have to push yourself out in less than ideal weather - Nature is a great healer.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete - I also liked the bee video clips and should likewise get into bee ID more.
    Paid a very brief visit to Conder Pool on Friday evening and unfortunately had to witness the demise of an Avocet chick just in front of the hide. It was on its back waving its legs in the air trying to right itself whilst the mother could only look on.
    Sat in my back garden last night having my supper whilst a good number of Swallows were making their way north, either that or they were going to the Highest Point festival in the park.
    Thanks for the blog.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard/Ian....Thanks for your quite comprehensive comments, I appreciate them very much.

    Please take note of the edit about the bee in the post.

    Kind Regards to both.

    ReplyDelete