BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 8 February 2023

Fringillidae's Ring My Bell!

It was good to get back up to Birk Bank again on Monday, though I found no Stonechat, but didn't feel any guarantee to do so to be honest. I only managed to chalk up 9 species in the 3 hours spent there doing the circuit, Rigg Lane - Ottergear Bridge - Crag Wood - Littledale Road -  Rigg Lane, but like I have said many times before....this is upland birding, and this is mid-winter.

The first of my pick of the day birds were, 8 Siskin, seen briefly in Alders around the car park, they were soon followed by a mix of around 50 Redwing and Fieldfare in a field with c.500 Starling off Rigg Lane, nearby a Jay seen. Birds noted on the circuit were, 5 Blackbird, 5 Robin, 2 Wren and a female Chaffinch.

At least 14 Red Grouse seen, included probably my tenth encounter over three years, of a rogue individual. I've not yet worked out this behaviour by all these grouse which, given they are game birds subject to being shot out of the sky, they don't take kindly to humans and take to flight on sight.

Like every other encounter I have had with these birds, this one either went ahead of me, or followed behind with its loud bouncing barks and 'go back' calls. This one flew three times at me from behind....I remain puzzled!

Calling in at Lancaster Cemetery on my way home was a good idea as I made my second 'pick of the day' and sixth contact with a pair of Bullfinch, the male calling/singing to a female in the tree opposite before both flying off....Must keep my eyes on these two for possible breeding evidence in May.

Stonechat Records January 2023.

Stonechat Cockersand. Ian Mitchell.

Having collected 33 wintering Stonechat records during the month of January, I'm supposing they had a good breeding season in 2022. There have been a couple of January records which surprise me, in that I either haven't seen records from the location before, or don't know the site, examples are....

9 Jan Milnthorpe Sewage Works, female.

9 Jan Haweswater Moss, bird.

15 Jan Longridge Fell, 4 pairs.

21 Jan Light Ash, pair.

Two birders have been in touch with me, and passed on records from two locations which they claim haven't had wintering birds, both have suggested spring migration of the Stonechat is already underway in the first week of February.

Ring Ouzel.

Known to winter mainly in southern Spain and N.W. Africa, I was surprised to see one reported 3 days ago on 5 February at Tarn Crag, Langdale, Cumbria. I was further surprised to learn this sighting isn't the first winter record of Ring Ouzel in Cumbria, that being of a bird reported 27 years ago on 2 February 1996.

Absolutely no apologies for two stunning images of Stonechat at Cockersand. With many thanks to Howard Stockdale and Ian Mitchell.   

6 comments:

  1. Very strange behaviour from that Red Grouse, Pete. It made me wonder if it was accustomed to the presence of humans. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. There used to be a Red Grouse (don't know if it was the same one every time) at Harrisend that would run along side the car.
    All the best Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard....As you have already seen, this is about the tenth such Red Grouse I have encountered over a couple of years. Not necessarily the same bird each time, but I have experienced the same behaviour every time. They are well accustomed to humans on the footpath, some of which have told me the same story. I've not yet worked any of this out, and remain totally confused by it all.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simon....You have obviously seen this multiple times, I certainly have not seen this bird on Harrisend, and it makes the whole saga even more a mystery. I'm beginning to think this is a know behavioral thing with Red Grouse, but if it is, I've never heard of any such thing.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting about the Red Grouse perhaps it is the same bird that used to accost me whenever I walked along the path last year, was it the same location as last year? - It is certainly very plucky!

    Glad your Bullfinch still there.

    Today at Cockersands the Black Redstart was about 300 yards from the manure heap caravan park end.
    2 usual pairs of Stonechat but also a single female at the first bend on Marsh Lane after the junction with Slack Lane.

    No sign of the 2 pairs of Pintail seen the other day.

    Regards - Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ian....As you say, probably the same bird, about which I can add nothing new Ian. The only thing I'm left with now, is that someone can come up with some new explanations.

    Good you saw the Black Redstart and five Stonechat, that's an excellent visit to Cockersand in my book.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete