BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Thursday 19 October 2023

The Twite Return.


Monday is best described as sunny and chilly with a flat calm sea at Cockersand. It could also be described as the best mid-October conditions I ever experienced here.  As the coaster Silver River passed the lighthouse, 8 Eider were drifting in the foreground, and as I watched this pleasant and atmospheric scene, waders gathered on Plover Scar at high tide.

Dunlin/Ringed Plover Plover Scar. Pete Woodruff.

I counted 105 Turnstone, 55 Dunlin, 25 Ringed Plover, and a lone Grey Plover. Also of note here, up to 40 Meadow Pipit, and my first 30 Twite of the winter which I'm tempted to suppose are possibly the same flock in the same number as seen several times last winter at Cockersand, 110 Pink-footed Geese were over >south.

I made my third circuit of Cockersand this month, which again resulted with little of note, but in one field a lone Black-tailed Godwit was with 34 Curlew and a similar number of Lapwing, 35 Teal, and 10 Wigeon were on a flood. On a post by Slack Lane, a Kestrel and later 2 Red Admiral seen.

On Conder Pool, I regarded 2 Reed Bunting as unusual here, also 4 Greenshank and 10 Redshank, with a decent count of 24 Tufted Duck and 6 Wigeon, the Little Grebe were uncounted today.


Amongst the few hundred gulls on the Lune Estuary, I picked out 7 Mediterranean Gull, seen as four adult and three 2nd winter, also 3 Greenshank on the south shore.

The Cockersand Merlin.

In my opinion, the same bird has been seen on two ocassions since my first sighting on 12 October when I aged/sexed it as an immature/female, my description being based on immature Merlin not being separable from female in the field. It was seen three days later on 15 October at Cockersand as an adult female, and seen again two days later on October 17 when it was described as a female-type, seen to fly from Sunderland Point to Crook Farm in the Cockersand area, and return to Sunderland Point.  


Ian Mitchell had similar good fortune as me and grabbed some footage of the Merlin at Cockersand on Monday. It was on a fence post following a wash and brush up....I'm pleased you saw the bird and many thanks for sharing this video with me Ian.

7 comments:

  1. I never cease to be amazed by the size of the flocks of birds you see during your perambulations, Pete. Your image of the Dunlin and Ringed Plover is wonderful. Ian's video of the Merlin finishes off the post in real style.

    Best wishes - stay safe - - - Richard

    PS Your verification process took nine attempts - tick the boxes with 'xxx' in them

    ReplyDelete
  2. 30 Twite... bloody hell. That's more than I've seen in my lifetime. A rare bird in Kent with only a few seen most years, some years none reported. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard....Thanks for compliments re the wader image, and Ian's video of the Merlin was certainly excellent, stunning little blighter eh!

    Marc....Didn't know about the Twite's rarity status in Kent, 46 was the peak count at Cockersand in February 2022.

    Thanks for looking in on B2B to both....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice header picture of Silver River heading out to the Isle of Man and the waders on Plover Scar.
    Good some Twite are about again.
    Glad I saw the Merlin I last saw one over a year ago on Clougha. It was a very pleasant day all round on Monday.

    Thanks for the update as always.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this Ian. A very pleasant day indeed at Cockersand, not sure I can recall a better one, and you saw and filmed the Merlin too, doesn't ever get any better than that.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pete!!! Beautiful and relaxing place to watch birds... Beautiful Merlin... Happy week...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You Ana. My favourite place, even more so if I can see a Merlin and Stonechat on the same day.

    Happy Week to you too Ana....Pete.

    ReplyDelete