Excellent news from Birk Bank from a trusted and reliable source, is that the current record stands at a spectacular 22 Keeled Skimmer as at Tuesday 14 July.
Keeled Skimmer Birk Bank 16 July. Pete Woodruff.
On Thursday, I spent an enjoyable and rewarding 2 hours at Birk Bank, but based on the chances of my equalling the current record let alone beating it, I did find at least 14 Keeled Skimmer in the first 5 minutes there. Quite surprisingly all were male, though by the end of the session I had seen two females egg laying.
The next best thing, was the 2 Golden-ringed Dragonfly sightings, neither of which had stopped off for photographs!
Four-spotted Chaser Birk Bank 16 July. Pete Woodruff.
Four-spotted Chaser seen, this one an immature with wing spots not very apparent, and were mostly on the wing, and all were immediately seen off by the male Keeled Skimmers.
I hadn't noticed the insect at the time, only when I came to process the footage did I see it face to face with the chaser, and I wondered if it had escaped with its life, but I reckon it was living dangerously.
Being a novice in the game, I can only assume this female dragonfly is egg laying, you can see its abdomen under the leaf on the bog, in which case it is making heavy weather of the exercise.
I have no idea of the fate of this unidentified dragonfly. The behaviour added to the bleached appearance which is probably caused by the stark sunlight....All things considered, something of a mystery.
Azure Damselfly Birk Bank 16 July. Pete Woodruff.
Three Azure Damselfly seen, and something of a surprise was a Blue-tailed Damselfly, it not being a common sight around acidic waters, I don't recall ever seeing one at Birk Bank before. It was good to see the Emperor Dragonfly again this year if only on a brief fly by.
Birds & Butterflies.
It was an icing on the cake moment when I found a pair of Stonechat as I came away from the bog, the male was seen with a grub in its bill....obvious breeders for me. Vocal interaction by a pair of Willow Warbler, and a Buzzard overhead.
Butterflies were a little thin, but one or two escaped ID as they whizzed by....no good for a learner like me! Three Ringlet, 2 Red Admiral and a Meadow Brown.
.jpg)
That is a reassuring amount of Odanata seen Pete.
ReplyDeleteThe unidentified dragonfly looks as though it is struggling to extract itself from the bog or is being held. As you say seems to be making heavy weather of it.
This explains where you were when I passed on way back from town! Was going to call.
Ian
A reassuring count indeed. I would be being sarcastic if I said, looks like they may have colonised Birk Bank bog.
DeleteThanks for the visit Ian....Pete.
Your dragonfly which looks to have crashed landed (maybe a fight or chasing male) I would assume rather than egg laying is a Keeled Skimmer ( broad antehumeral stripes and orange pterostigma). An interesting observation nonetheless. A few good odonata noted including Golden ringed Dragonfly. Managed my first shots of Willow Emerald Damselfly this year. Shots on 'Kent Dragonflies'. Take care.
ReplyDeleteI should be ashamed of myself for not noticing the orange pterostigma, excellent observation there Marc. I heard whispers of a Willow Emerald Damselfly recently in the very area I live in, but I'm saying nowt else on that one for now Marc.
DeleteRegards....Pete.
Great observations. Yes, that dragonfly seems to be laying eggs to me too.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sami, but it sounds like I was wrong about the egg layer.
ReplyDeleteRegards....Pete.