The title of this post should have been 'Good Afternoon Part 3', but I thought that would have been too boring and repetitive, and perhaps would have lost me some visitors to B2B....Just saying!
But before the break in the weather, it was in fact my third good afternoon session, and although Conder Pool was a little underwhelming, the day was no less rewarding than the first two.
Conder Pool.
First to note, was that the Common Terns have deserted Conder Pool. I understand the last sighting was Friday 21 August, void of checking my records, this sounds like an average date for their departure.
Just four species of birds noted today, a Spotted Redshank, 8 Ruff, 3 Black-tailed Godwit, and 13 Little Grebe.
Saltcote Pond.
The or another Common Hawker seen again, also an Emperor Dragonfly, Brown Hawker, and 6 Common Darter.
Butterflies, a Painted Lady and Common Blue.
Birk Bank.
On and over the bog, a Common Hawker seen again, one here 7 August. Also 4 Black Darter and 4 Common Darter were all male.
As I came away from the bog I saw a Roe Deer, it was staring me in the face within 15 metres through the branches, but a pity it decided to move off as I fired the shutter. Also seen, was a male Stonechat in the same area I found a breeding pair on 15 July.
Garden First.
A little something of interest in the garden recently.

Your header is stunning indeed, Pete. The terns may have departed for another year, but like any good naturalist you find many other taxa to engage your curiosity and provide limitless pleasure. And other than the Roe Deer (who declined to linger anyway) they all had wings! Best wishes - David
ReplyDeleteGood selection of insects there Pete and nice photos.
ReplyDeleteScorpionfly is interesting.
Sad to see the Terns depart but as they do others return to complete the cycle once again. Will be glad to hear the Pink Footed geese and Whoopers returning.
Ian Mitchell