BIRDING ON THE LUNE ESTUARY AND THE FOREST OF BOWLAND......................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK/GREENSHANK CONDER POOL PAUL ELLIS

Sunday, 4 October 2026

Pleasantly Quiet.

There were 9 Spotted Redshank with Greenshank on Conder Pool 27 September, and the header image is perfect as my introduction to this weeks post on B2B. Thanks to Paul Ellis for this amazing image of record numbers for Conder Pool. 

I missed the good stuff again on Conder Pool, with recent records being, 35 Greenshank, and 9 Spotted Redshank, both all time peak counts.

Conder Pool.

When I arrived at Conder Pool on Thursday, I was pleased to be able to count 22 Greenshank and 4 Spotted Redshank.


Although there was just the 26 waders to note, it was good that a lone Bar-tailed Godwit was feeding in front of the screen, at beat an irregular visitor to Conder Pool, and not a bird I have ever seen here beyond single figures.

Lune Estuary.

At the estuary on the rising tide, 8 Golden Plover were seen as the vanguards of returning winter birds. Also 190 Curlew was a decent count for the end of September, 550 Lapwing, 220 Redshank, 85 Greylag, and 45 Wigeon completed the picture.

Saltcote Pond.

At the pond, 4 Migrant Hawker, a pair of Common Darter in cop, and a Clouded Yellow butterfly.

Hawker Down.

Whilst at Saltcote Pond, I observed some interesting behavior by three of the Migrant Hawkers, an incident which ended badly for one of the males. I watched a pair in cop for several minutes, they were flying around erratically until they eventually separated, at which point a second male started an attack on the other. I have no idea which of the males ended up in the drink, but it started to swim frantically, then stopped before swimming again.

 
I watched this desperate attempt to reach some vegetation to emerge from the pond which was impeded by the fact that it kept changing direction.

Migrant Hawker Saltcote Pond 1 October. Pete Woodruff.

I left the site feeling helpless, having had to watch this unfortunate creatures desperate attempt to escape from drowning....an experience I hope to never witness ever again. 

Hummingbird Hawk-moth. 

The regular HBHM to our garden broke its own record on Saturday 3 October, paying its 28th visit in the past 2 months, this time it was around the Honeysuckle when I spotted it....Truly amazing stuff! 

Hummingbird Hawk-moth on Salvia 20 September

I reckon any HBHM seen into October, is outside its flight period by the end of September, but interestingly, it is recorded to have occasionally survived mild winters in southern Britain. 

Error.

I'm working on the size of my header image which is in the wrong resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment