BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Monday 22 August 2011

Bottom of the League.


Well I will be at the rate my birding went today with few points scored on a day when I gave it my all but found it very heavy going, though the Ruff at Cockersands clawed a little back for me, few and far between in our area and I reckon its possibly the bird I saw in flight with 80 Redshank at Conder Green a week ago on 15 August. Today the bird was with estimates of 800 Dunlin, 630 Redshank, and 200 Ringed Plover. A Sparrowhawk and the 2 Wall Brown butterflies don't add up to a double figure count in my book for the entire summer.

Ladybirds. Pete Woodruff.

A circuit produced little save 2 Wheatear, up to 50 Swallow noted around Bank Houses, and these two 7-Spot Ladybirds appearing to be engaged in some multiplication activity, the 7-Spot is one of our commonest and is abundant in all kinds of habitat. There are 46 species in the UK of which only 26 are readily recognisable as Ladybirds. 

I had started the day at Conder Green where the pool was once again deserted save the 2 Wigeon drakes which - for the whole hour I spent in the area - remained in close company with a Mute Swan recently resident on here....presumably some feeding behaviour. Other notes here, up to 40 Mallard were on the River Conder between the road bridge and Bush House, a Grey Wagtail was of note, also at least 12 House Martin around River winds, and it was nice to find 2 Whitethroat still in the area.

Wheatear. David Cookson.

Not your average image of a Wheatear - but well above it - of which two were at Glasson Dock. The Lune Estuary here was unimpressive today and although Lapwing numbers remain at c.1,000 other wader numbers were low though I had no intention of having today as a wader counting one. A Greenshank and Little Egret were the only other notes. A birder  - unknown to me - who was already in position when I arrived pointed out a 'gull' he claimed to be the resident YLG....on this occasion I decided not to enlighten him of his error!

It was good to see AR/JR today at Glasson Dock and put a few things in the 'Birding World' to right. I know you look in on Birds2blog and hope to see you again soon, meanwhile....Kind Regards to you both.

And finally....

Sedge Warbler. David Cookson.  

This time, not your average Sedge Warbler image with its catch of a deceased Orthoptera. Two stunning photographs of which you can always see more HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment