BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 3 August 2011

Coastal Birds....

....and nooks and crannies.

Eider. Pete Woodruff.

I gave Conder Green/Glasson Dock/Cockersands a good six hours today and not a stone unturned....well I thought not!

At Conder Green I was greeted by a Little Egret on Conder Pool with a Spotted Redshank, c.40 Redshank, c.75 Lapwing, and the Moorhen family seen last Thursday with three young still in tact. In the creeks 3 Black-tailed Godwit, and 11 Common Sandpiper. River Winds appears to have had a good season this year with at least 25 House Martins around obviously including fully fledged young, a singing Willow Warbler heard. On the Lune Estuary at Glasson dock I noted c.300 Bar-tailed Godwit once more, with c.150 Knot, 4 Greenshank, and a Goosander. I was otherwise distracted by two birders who wanted to talk about this and that, not wanting my 'anti social' mode to kick in I joined in but thereafter my momentum had disappeared and I left. Along Jeremy Lane 3 Tree Sparrow noted.

1st Summer male Marsh Harrier at Cockersands. Copy Permitted. 

At Cockersands, the 1st summer male Marsh Harrier - first seen here on 7 July - gave excellent views quartering fields behind Abbey Farm, and a more detailed count - than that of 120 on 27 July - resulted in up to 200 Tree Sparrows flocking here today, with 6 Linnet noted. On a quiet Plover Scar, at least 4 Whimbrel, 10 Dunlin, a single Golden Plover, and a single adult Ringed Plover prompted me to wonder just what may have become of the chicks seen here on 28 July. Off Plover Scar, 33 Eider included three young which I saw on 28 July. 

Kestrel. Pete Woodruff.     

This young Kestrel posed nicely for me this afternoon at Bank End.

No comments:

Post a Comment