BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................................LITTLE OWL UNDISCLOSED LOCATION MARTIN JUMP

Sunday 2 June 2024

The Birk Bank Bombus.

I was struggling to make a decision on Friday, but my mind was instantly made up by a call from Ian Mitchell who told me about a find he'd made.


I was off hot foot to Birk Bank, to find an area gifted with a small carpet of Common Bird's-foot-trefoil, one of the food plants of the 2 Bilberry Bumblebee Bombus monticola I found, having foraged the Bilberry, then moving on to other food sources such as the bird's-foot-trefoils, thistles and heathers.

Large Red Damselfly. Pete Woodruff.

A visit to Birk Bank bog produced at least 20 Large Red Damselfly with a few mating pairs seen. Any other dragons to be seen here will have to wait until my next visit, even though the conditions were good today, the season has yet to take off at this excellent acidic site....I'm increasingly getting worried here!

On a couple of hours wander I noted a relatively low number of up to 10 Willow Warbler, a Garden Warbler, Tree Pipit, 12 Meadow Pipit, and saw Raven and Buzzard over the ridge.

Common Lizard. Pete Woodruff.

Although I noted 4 species of bees, the insect count otherwise was poor, with just 2 Small Heath butterfly, a Little Emerald moth, and 2 Common Lizard on the boardwalk at the bog.

Forest Cuckoo Bee Bombus sylvestris. Pete Woodruff.

And Finally.

Green Tiger Beetle. Pete Woodruff. 

I was struggling for a header pik, but Ian Mitchell came to the rescue with his Hooded Crow found on the return journey back to Lancaster from Walney NR last week....Much appreciated Ian.

2 comments:

  1. You managed to get some good pictures there Pete. Also good video of the Bilberry Bumblebee, much better than mine but hardly difficult since my iPhone was tracking the wrong bee!!
    I wonder how the bee I found died, wonder if it was attacked by another bee?
    Perhaps the Hooded Crow had come over from the Isle of Man.
    Noticed an Osprey flying north over my house about 07:15 pm last night being harassed by a gull.

    Cheers - Ian Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian....Thanks for the positive compliments re piks and video, and lucky you with the Osprey over the house Saturday evening. Looking forward to your next call Ian!

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete