BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND...............................................................SPOTTED FLYCATCHER BOWLAND PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 9 June 2024

One For The Orchid Buff's....

....and a moth, a dragonfly, and some flycatchers.

I've had an interest in orchids for a few years now, especially any to be found in the Lancaster area, an interest that increased when I found the Bee Orchid here some years ago now with my good friend and mentor John Leedal. 

Bee Orchid. Pete Woodruff.

The Bee Orchid is seen as one of the best known and loved of its kind, its flowering is sporadic, which accounts for failures to find it at the same location year on year, and contributes to why I've not seen it for 4 years since June 2020.

But my visit here this time turned out to be a bit of a revelation when I found what I regarded to be a good count of Northern Marsh Orchid. 

Southern Marsh Orchid. Pete Woodruff.

I can't claim the record of orchids found at this site east of Lancaster to be the first, but I can certainly claim it to be the first record of up to 100 spikes of Southern Marsh Orchid here as opposed to any records in previous years of misidentified Northern Marsh Orchid. 

Southern Marsh Orchid Detail

This is the link to an end piece I wrote following the discussion that ensued on Wild Orchids of the UK website Orchids

Small China Mark.

Small China Mark. Pete Woodruff.

A nice Small China Mark on the canal towpath. Fairly common around still and slow-moving water, the larvae are semi-aquatic feeding on duckweed, and building floating cases from fragments of the food plant.

Emperor Dragonfly.

Emperor Dragonfly Birk Bank 6 June. Ian Mitchell.

The Emperor Dragonfly is referred to in The Dragonflies of Lancashire and North Merseyside Steve White and Philip H. Smith, as....'remains absent in the uplands'....though this reference was published in 2015, and I await a reply from Steve see if this is still the case with the species in 2024.

Pied Flycatcher.

I was grateful to AC for confirmation of up to 6 pairs of Pied Flycatcher in the Marshaw-Tower Lodge-Trough Bridge area, with five boxes taken, and a tree nesting pair as I had suggested a couple of weeks ago. On a trip into Bowland on Thursday, it's a pleasure for me to report on his behalf, evidence of possible breeding Spotted Flycatcher Tower Lodge area, and a pair of Redstart at both Marshaw and Abbeystead both with breeding evidence....Great Stuff AC. 

I was grateful to Ian Mitchell on three counts, 1) for forwarding me the record and image of a male Emperor Dragonfly at Birk Bank, 2) for info that the record of Bilberry Bumblebee at Birk Bank has been officially accepted, 3) for the excellent header image of the same Bilberry Bumblebee.

6 comments:

  1. The last Bee Orchids I saw were at Warton Crag, they are spectacular.
    Nice picture of the Small China Mark (female I think). I must admit I don’t tend to dabble too much with micro moths, I have enough trouble identifying some of the macros.
    Good news about the Flycatchers and Redstart.
    Like to know what you find out about the Emperor Dragonfly.
    Ian Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input Ian. You will certainly be hearing the result of my enquiry about the 'upland' Emperor Ian.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete
  2. Hello Pete,
    another very informative post, I didn't know that these bee orchids existed until today
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words Frank, and pleased you learned about the Bee Orchids.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post Pete, I didn´t know that the Bee orchids existed, but I can see thanks to your excellent photos some similarity with a bee.
    Greetings Lasse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment on my post Lasse. Your comment regarding you didn't know Bee Orchids existed, echoes what Frank has said, and you have both surprised me about the absence. I must do some reading about the distribution of Orchids in Europe.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete