BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.....................................................................TREE PIPIT BIRK BANK 26 JUNE PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 30 June 2024

The Bog Is Alive And Well....Just!

Well at least the weather bucked up, and by Wednesday to some small degree, so did the bog at Birk Bank, although on my first of two visits today, I struggled to find much life other than a couple of Azure Damselfly and Large Red Damselfly

On my return visit 4 hours later, I eventually found a male Keeled Skimmer, along with an even bigger surprise of another of those 'upland' Emperor Dragonfly, 4 Four-spotted Chaser, a Black-tailed Simmer, and up to 10 Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, which were the only butterflies I saw in 5 hours, save 2 Small Heath and a Speckled Wood.

A saunter to Cragg Wood was definitely worth it as I found 2 Golden-ringed Dragonfly on the River Conder, and a Spotted Flycatcher as a nice little bonus. Other birds were represented by a male Stonechat, a Linnet....


....and Tree Pipit which was singing....Pump up the volume!

Bilberry Bumblebee 26 June. Pete Woodruff.

As I approached the east side of Ottergear Bridge, I found another 2 Bilberry Bumblebee, my seventh this year, and when I got back to the car park to end the day, a Garden Warbler was singing.

Norfolk Hawker.

Little more than 30 miles from Lancaster, and a species slowly expanding north.

Norfolk Hawker. Frank Bird.

When Fylde birder Frank arrived on the scene at Birk Bank I heard some excellent news. In an interesting conversation, Frank told me of the Norfolk Hawker he had found in his garden on 2 June. This was a news story I had somehow missed, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear about it today. 

The image is much appreciated Frank, many thanks for allowing it on B2B, and congratulations on this amazing find in your garden....Hope to see you again soon, when maybe you will be telling me of a Hairy Dragonfly you found in your garden!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are seeing a bit more at Birk Bank area, especially the Bilberry Bumblebee. We are probably seeing more of these bees because we are looking more.
    Will have to keep an eye out for the Norfolk Hawker at Birk Bank.
    Thanks for the pictures etc. and update.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete