BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND...........................................................................MARSHAW WYRE BOWLAND PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 29 May 2024

A Little Interest Here And There.

Top of my list for recent interest is the Orchid I found in Lancaster. The discovery developed into something a little more interesting than I expected when I first came across the plant, in that I had recorded it as a Northern Marsh Orchid, but having sent a picture for definitive ID, I found a spilt of opinions between the Northern and Southern of the species. 

Southern Marsh Orchid. Pete Woodruff.

In the end and with the help of a leading expert in the field, I decided it had to be a Southern Marsh Orchid Dactylorchis praetermissa that I had found along the canal towpath near Lancaster.

Early Bumblebee. Pete Woodruff.

More interest came in the garden, with the appearance of a few smart Early Bumblebee Bombus pratorum complete with it's fluffy body pile, most were investigating the contents of our Water Avens.

Many thanks go to Ana Minguez who posted a great little video of a Kentish Plover. 


This instantly prompted me to recall the two Kentish Plover I found, the first one as far back as 30 years ago on 19 November 1994, when I remember seeing a plover with black legs at Teal Bay in Morecambe. Halcyon days, and I recall receiving rich compliments from the recorder at the time, when he wrote in the LDBWS Annual Report 1994....'The wintering Rossall bird was intercepted on return passage by P.Woodruff at Hest Bank, before disturbance by a windsurfer saw it's perhaps premature departure. Thanks to PW for driving to Heysham to inform me'.

Kentish Plover Plover Scar. Photo Courtesy Fylde Bird Club

The second Kentish Plover I found was on Plover Scar at Cockersand 13 years ago on 3 May 2011. This bird had the distinction of being only the second record this century, the last one at Marshside North Merseyside in 2004.

Picture Gallery.

I have received some excellent images recently, the authors of which are appropriately credited and much appreciated.


Martin Jump caught this shot of the Avocet seeing off a Spoonbill at Newton Marsh 15 May.


Howard Stockdale got this stunning shot of two stunning Mediterranean Gull, at Conder Pool 25 May.


Ian Mitchell claimed the first Painted Lady of the year in our area, it was around the trig point on Nicky Nook 21 May.

Whilst I wait for the weather to improve and the dragonflies to put in an appearance, all of this has filled the gap in B2B nicely.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting about your orchid.
    Some great pictures and lovely video of the Kentish Plover, thanks for sharing.
    I too am awaiting some dragonfly weather, pouring down as I write this!!
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comments Ian. You/we will be able to get out in good weather next week, and don't forget the Bombus monticola....7 June comes to mind!

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete
  2. Hi Pete! How beautiful that Orchid... I love wild Orchids and my house is full of Orchids... Thank you for sharing my video of the Plover... Unfortunately, increasingly scarce in Spain.. A cordial greeting.. It has arrived in Spain the heat... How horrible!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent to hear your house is full of Orchids Ana. Your Kentish Plover brought back never to be forgotten memories for me. I had no idea it was scarce in Spain.

      Keep cool in the heat and enjoy as best you can.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete
  3. Hello Pete
    a very nice "gap filler" I didn't know that these birds were so rare, thanks for showing them.
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the 'gap filler' and the rare Kentish Plover.

      My regards to you Frank....Pete.

      Delete
  4. What a find that was and a real rarity too. Nice video as well. Luckily yday, the sun shone and there were hundreds of Damselflies and dragonflies around. Didn't know where to point the camera. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The forecast is looking good for next week, who knows it may be the beginning of flaming June, in which case I may well be able to record some dragons, though I'm not sure in the same numbers you have told me here Marc, but here's hoping.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete