BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................................................WOODCOCK BOWLAND PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 5 May 2024

More Probable/Possible in Bowland!

Ring Ouzel Bowland. Ian Mitchell.

A bit of double checking in Bowland again this week, when amongst other things, I managed a trek half way up Hawthornthwaite Fell with scant reward, to assemble a bit more of a comprehensive list to exceed what is usually the norm for me.

The number of waders presumably there to breed was pitiful, with no more than six birds seen in 2 hours, 4 Lapwing, a single Curlew and an Oystercatcher. There was a build up of 6 Sand Martin around the bank on Catshaw Greave, and Wheatear were seen, one of which was taking a wash and brush up in Cam Brook.

There was a better count of 18 Meadow Pipit compared to eight on my last visit 24 April, 2 Wren, a pair of Mistle Thrush were something of a surprise, 3 Red Grouse, male Reed Bunting, and a Wood Pigeon, 2 Kestrel and a BuzzardI saw just one male Stonechat, almost certainly one of the two 24 April birds, and I never really expect my first House Martin of the year was going to be seen flying east over a fell in Bowland. 

Grey Wagtail Bowland. Howard Stockdale.

Grey Wagtail on Cam Brook, and at Cam Brow I heard a Cuckoo to the east which soon flew over the road to the woodlands west of here, also a Willow Warbler in song, and a Red Admiral.

Dipper Bowland. Martin Jump.

Calling in at Abbeystead, a Dipper was seen flying upstream on the Marshaw Wyre, and 2 Orange Tip butterflies seen. But the excellent news is, that I gathered more evidence to add to my previous claim which now reads, the probability of 5 Pied Flycatcher breeding pairs. 

A brief look in on the bog at Birk Bank hopefully for a Large Red Damselfly was fruitless despite the warm sunny May day, but a single Green Hairstreak and a small colony of Ashy Mining Bee were of note. A Cuckoo heard distant was probably around the Ottergear Bridge area.

My take on these two Ashy Mining Bees, is that they were a mating pair until the male dislodged!....Other theories welcome.

I'm grateful to Ian, Howard, and Martin, who by coincidence sent me images on the same day, and all taken in Bowland....They are much appreciated.  

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you have seen quite a lot but not as much as you would have expected.
    See Hawthornthwaite was a disappointment with not much in the way of Curlew as it was when I visited, wonder where all the Curlew from Cockersands went?
    Interesting video of the bees.
    Some nice pictures.
    Many thanks.
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Curlew is recorded as a widespread but declining breeder in our area Ian, but as you say....'wonder where all the Curlew from Cockersands went'....since I counted 700 at Cockersand/Cocker Estuary in February. I know nothing about the status of the Curlew beyond 2022, but I do know there was no full survey made in Bowland that year, though a RSPB farmland survey found breeders on 3 farms.

      Thanks for your continuing interest Ian.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos Pete. I would like to see the dipper. We don't have them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Caroline. I was surprised to hear you say you have no Dipper were you are. Please be assured I keep up to date with Caroline's Natuurfotografie.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete