BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Monday 26 September 2011

And finally!



The Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock in all its glory in glorious technicolour, and with a North American bird re-found here again this afternoon, it was my final trick of the day on my way back to Lancaster having had an excellent days birding. But this bird frustrated me for a while as I had briefly seen a wader with - and looking a little like - the Redshanks though definitely was not one. It decided to take to flight but thankfully just did a 'half moon' to return to the mud-bank behind one or two Redshanks, but it gave itself up eventually to be revealed as a juvenile Lesser Yellowlegs, the bird showed well between the two white boats in the picture above and was still doing so when I left at 4.45pm. Other notes made here and the rest of the best today without too much waffle....Three adult Mediterranean Gull, a Ruff, Spotted Redshank, up to 750 Golden Plover, the Black-tailed Godwits and Bar-tailed Godwits didn't reach double figures, and a Little Egret seen. 

But the day had started at Fluke Hall where I found a Curlew Sandpiper roosting on an exposed mound of marsh at high tide with 120 Dunlin, 4 Sanderling, and a single Grey Plover. Walking west along the sea wall I saw 7 Wheatear, 2 Tree Sparrow, and 2 Little Egret. At Cockers Dyke I found another Curlew Sandpiper, noted 2 Ruff, 11 Golden Plover and a Little Egret.

On Pilling Marsh with the tide still high, a Barnacle Goose was with c.2,000 Pink-footed Geese as it had been last Friday, and I made estimates off the car park of at least 800 Teal, 200 Pintail, a 'few' Wigeon, 5 Red-breasted Merganser, and 6 Great-crested Grebe. On Backsands Lane a Jay was on the fence post. And pulling in opposite Sand Villa to check the twelve 'swans' in a field, I found 5 Whooper Swans with the Mute Swans.

At Cockersands, an adult Mediterranean Gull was in a field being cut with 'a few hundred' Black-headed Gulls. Off Plover Scar I counted up to 30 Eider, 9 Wigeon, and 5 Red-breasted Merganser. Wader estimates noted, 70 Ringed Plover, 50 Dunlin, and 8 Turnstone. The strangest sight of the entire day was that of 2 Teal roosting on Plover Scar....this is definitely a new one on me!

Please Note.

My e-mail system appears to be ill and I'm not receiving all the messages I expect to. Until my 'wizard' has the time to visit me I'm afraid you may have to continue thinking I'm ignoring you....I most certainly am not.

3 comments:

  1. Pete. What an excellent day you had with a super American wader on your patch. Good weather too and your usual great variety of birds. I went up to Arnside and had cracking views of my first Buff Breasted Sandpiper...account and pics to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pete,

    Congratulations on the Lesserlegs on your patch. I have a knack of being out of the country when these birds turn up, usually overseas but this time it's "just up the road", working near Dumfries.
    Looking forward to getting back and finding something good at one of the Ribble "hotspots" you mentioned - Banks Marsh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to the BBS images Brian....one for the blog no doubt.

    Colin....Hope you strike it lucky at one of the Ribble 'hotspots' with a 'MEGA' perhaps. Just to remind you I only get a half point for the LY re-find at Glasson Dock.

    By the way, I noted the flag of Brazil on the counter a time or two during your recent visit there and thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete