BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Friday 10 April 2015

Chasing The Mountain Blackbird.

Langden Brook. Pete Woodruff.

Another lovely day on Wednesday had me back in Bowland chasing the Mountain Blackbird - though not primarily so - in the Langden Valley hotspot. The photograph above shows Langden Brook with the intake downstream at my back where I saw a classic White Wagtail with a Pied Wagtail as if to be there for comparison. Also seen as I walked up the tree lined avenue from the road, a 'few' Chaffinch and Robin were of particular note, with a Dipper, 4 Grey Wagtail, a Goldcrest was busy in the conifers along with a Coal Tit and Blue Titand a Song Thrush in fine voice.

On the walk which I stretched out over four hours, though the place was alive with them I noted at least 40 Meadow Pipit, 6 Wren, and a single Red Grouse heard only, I saw just two raptors in a Sparrowhawk and kestrel. Just one male Stonechat was a huge disappointment for me as was no Wheatear seen.  

Ring Ouzel Paul Foster

After some off the track searching based on info about a pair seen by a birder I spoke with earlier, I found a smart male Ring Ouzel but no female seen. Thanks for the image Paul, your image reflects just as I saw my bird today at the tip of a dead branch. 

Green Tiger Beetle S.Rae

Insects of note, 10 Peacock butterflies and the brilliant Green Tiger Beetle, it is a ground beetle, and it's iridescent green with yellow spots make it readily identifiable, it is an agile vicious and accomplished predator which can fly and makes a distinct buzzing sound when doing so.

I gave a couple of hours on the track up to Hawthornthwaite Fell from Marshaw but it was a walk into a void save 2 Mistle Thrush and a Coal Tit at the start of the track at Marshaw, 24 Meadow Pipit, 6 Red Grouse, and 3 Peacock butterflies. There had been a recent burn here, but....I'll spare you a rant this time.   

5 comments:

  1. Nice talking to you at Cockerham Sands. Hope you had a great time birding for the rest of the day. You have a good blog! This is mine...

    http://birderbagshaw.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 1st shot shows the lovely clean air up there Pete :-) Compare that to the filth we have to breathe in here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete. Excellent day out for you in the wilds of the Langden Valley. Pity about the wheatears and stonechats.Always nice to see and hear a ring ouzel.Langden is one of Bowland's hotspots and hopefully the hen harriers may return this year.341

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie....Nice to see you too. I soon realised you had an interest in birds and could easily see you knew what you was talking about. I also saw two Snipe come up off the marsh after I left you.

    Warren....Yes, a brilliant area.

    Brian....Enjoyed my wander up the valley, but to be honest missed a few of the birds this time....some you win, some you loose.

    Thanks to all for looking in and taking the time to comment, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pete. Beautiful cover and great pictures. Love the ring Ouzei.. Have a nice week.. Cheers.. :-)))

    ReplyDelete