BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..............................................................................SCAUP CONDER POOL 5 MARCH PAUL ELLIS

Sunday 28 May 2017

Barbondale....A Good Turnout.

I rarely fail to be rewarded with return visits on the same day if possible, to any birding location to see if I missed anything the first time around, and always make sure I return to Barbondale within a couple of weeks of my first visit in May....Thursday was no exception.

I found 12 Pied Flycatcher, this is as good as it gets to date for the Pied Flycatcher at Barbondale, and although it took me three hours, I also eventually found a pair of Spotted Flycatcher, but a pair of Siskin was the surprise of the day, the first I ever saw here, and don't recall seeing any recent records of the species here.


Treecreeper Richard Pegler  

Staking out for 15 minutes in one place, I saw 5 Treecreeper, an all time best count for me at one sighting, a male Great-spotted Woodpecker joined a Treecreeper in the same tree, and I saw the only male Redstart of the visit also in the same tree. Two Willow Warbler was one less than my last visit here, so if there are Willow Warbler here this year, they've not been vocal for me, and I've certainly not seen them. A Grey Wagtail was on Barbon Beck, and a Kestrel was the only raptor seen.

Butterflies seen, 2 Peacock, 2 Orange Tip, and a Small Copper.


Little Ringed Plover. Bull Beck 25 May. Pete Woodruff.

A wander upstream on the River Lune at Bull Beck was rewarded with a find of 6 Little Ringed Plover, of which three were small just out of the nest chicks, 2 Common Sandpiper, a healthy colony of c.90 Sand Martin, and up to 40 Greylag had at least 55 gosling in tow.

Many Thanks to Marc for the new and excellent Purple Sandpiper header, and to Richard for the Treecreeper.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pete. That seems like a wonderful day out, with the number of Pied Flycatcher being particularly awesome!

    Are you sure that the Treecreeper is one of mine? I don't recognise it!

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be losing it, Pete - I've just found that image on my blog. I'd completely forgotten it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best Pied Flycatcher number to date at this location Richard and a good experience for me finding them....my kind of birding.

    Your Treecreeper image is an old one (Calke Park 2013) which takes nothing from it's quality of a bird in its natural environment, thanks for allowing it on Birds2blog.

    ReplyDelete