BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..............................................................................SCAUP CONDER POOL 5 MARCH PAUL ELLIS

Sunday 17 September 2017

Mid September Bowland.

On a more settled day, with some sunny spells and little wind, a visit to Bowland on Friday wasn't without some rewards. 

On Hawthornthwaite Fell I found 3 Stonechat, seen as a pair and a juvenile, something of a surprise was a lone Wheatear still up here, with 4 Raven seen in three sightings, 14 Meadow Pipit, and high overhead at least 30 House Martin hawking, 2 Red Admiral and a Small Tortoiseshell seen.


Spotted Flycatcher. Simon Hawtin. 

A Marshaw - Tower Lodge - Winfold Fell saunter started with a late Spotted Flycatcher which beats my previous latest in Bowland of 3 Spotted Flycatcher seen 7 years ago on 2 September 2010. Unexpected was 4 House Martin at Tower Lodge including entering a nest. Also of note, a Great-spotted Woodpecker, 5 Coal Tit, 3 Robin, and 2 Grey Wagtail on the Marshaw Wyre.

Red Grouse.


Red Grouse. Simon Hawtin.

At two upland locations on Friday, I saw an impressive 61 Red Grouse including flights of 24 from 30 on the fringe of Winfold Fell, and 15 from 31 on Hawthornthwaite Fell, by far my best one day count of this stunning moorland bird.

No Redpoll or Siskin seen today, and less expected, no Crossbill, the last of which were eight I found up here on 7 July 2016.

Thursday 14 September.

Conder Pool, 12 Little Grebe. Lune Estuary, c.750 Golden Plover and 58 Pink-footed Geese over >south.

Thanks to Peter Rhind for the header image, and to Simon Hawtin for his images in this post....Excellent times three.

2 comments:

  1. 61 Red Grouse. I think I have only ever seen one and I think I was too young to appreciate what it was at the time. I really should take a year of work and see the birds in the UK I have never seen before. I will just ask the wife if this idea is going to work............!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your 'idea' works , if it does please let me know as I could point a figure in the right direction on occasions.

    Thanks for looking in again Marc, have a good week.

    ReplyDelete