BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..............................................................................SCAUP CONDER POOL 5 MARCH PAUL ELLIS

Sunday 25 September 2022

Bring On The Hawkers.

By way of a change, a ride on the bus to Conder Green, and a quick look over the creeks had me find an Avocet still there, with a Common Sandpiper and 2 Black-tailed Godwit. Then on to the canal towpath at The Mill to walk about 3 miles to Galgate to find 58 Migrant Hawker, an excellent count which exceeded the one I made on this stretch of the canal around the same date of 20 September 2021 when I found 47.

Migrant Hawkers. Pete Woodruff.

I had close encounters with some of these dragonflies including this pair, with 4 pairs in aerial mating circles, and a female seen ovipositing in the canal side vegetation. I also observed some interesting behaviour not picked up by me before, when a Migrant Hawker was seen continuously drooping and raising its abdomen in flight. 


Also seen, 10 Common Darter all males, and a stunning black/blue male Common Hawker. Bird notes were, 5 Grey Wagtail seen as two pairs and a singleton, also a mewing Buzzard overhead. Butterflies seen where just 3 Large White and a Green-veined White.


When I got to the canal junction at Galgate, a Grey Heron was preening on the railings....King of the castle lock!

Caddisfly. Pete Woodruff.

With 199 species of Caddisfly in the UK, some difficult to ID. Closely related to Lepidoptera, this individual doesn't go beyond Limnephilus sp in my book....Now I'm catching a bus back to Lancaster.

The winter thrushes are here already, with 6 Redwing reported at Gletsdale, Cumbria, 19 September

And Finally....How About This Then

6 comments:

  1. Love the picture and video of the Hawkers I am jealous as on the same stretch they would not settle for me.

    Winter must be coming as I am regularly hearing Pink Footed Geese overhead now and soon the Redwing along with the Fieldfare will be here judging by your report.

    Thanks for the update.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful video and shots Pete. Nice to see them still around.

    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian....Chance of still catching up with the hawkers, this stretch of the canal is as good as anywhere to do so. Glad you liked the photo and footage of the pair Ian.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marc....Thank you for positive comments, and yes, good to see the hawkers still around, I was pleased to have found 4 Migrant Hawkers on 8 October last year.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your 58 Migrant Hawkers greatly exceed any count that I have had of this species, Pete, and then you taunt me further with another Common Hawker! Wonderful stuff. I enjoyed your photos and video clips. Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Richard, and I return my Best Wishes to you.

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete