BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 28 May 2023

An Interesting Trawl.

A very interesting visit to Bowland and the birds of Marshaw - Tower Lodge - Trough Bridge.

My sightings for the day started with a Siskin I found drinking in the Marshaw Wyre by the plantation at Marshaw, from where I saw a pair of Lesser Redpoll and a few Sand Martin of which just one individual was seen to enter a nest hole in the bank upstream from the green bridge.

Birds seen on or around the length of the Marshaw Wyre, where my main interest was with sightings of 3 Dipper at three locations, one of which I reckon had a nest nearby, and was behaving with a small fish like it was food for young. I counted 6 Grey Wagtail with no evidence of breeding or young, also 5 Common Sandpiper with young hopefully to be seen in the coming weeks.

Three pair of Pied Flycatcher are occupying three nest boxes. This male was singing around the box, which I was able to stalk to close range with trees for cover....Pity about the wind pollution in the footage, the bird was singing nicely.

It took four hours for me to find Spotted Flycatcher, two were seen as a pair which eventually took off to see two other birds off which I strongly suspected to be two more flycatchers. If they were, there are only 4 Spotted Flycatcher here this year.

The supporting cast was, 4 Mistle Thrush, a Song Thrush, Long Tailed Tit, and 3 Dunnock. A clattering of 38 Jackdaw flew west, and 10 Willow Warbler were mostly heard, though one gave excellent close views, and in a short watch at Tower Lodge, I saw just one House Martin which eventually entered a nest. 


A Curlew gained maximum height at the top of a dead tree to advertise its territory....Don't recall ever hearing this call by the Curlew.

Banded Demoiselle.

Banded Demoiselle Garstang 27 May. Pete Woodruff.

A saunter along the Lancaster Canal and River Wyre at Garstang, resulted in finding 6 Banded Demoiselle. 


Ian Mitchell sent me an interesting image of a Large Red Damselfly at rest on an exuvia. Along with some comments from an expert, and given it was seen on an acidic bog, I'm suggesting this is the larva case of a Four Spotted Chaser.


Ian struggled to get this image of a Little Emerald being uncooperative amongst the Bilberry. There was an emergence of this moth, of which I also saw c.12 on my last visit to Birk Bank 22 May.

Edit.


Worthy of the edit, this Painted Lady was on Sandylands at Morecambe this afternoon. A rapid flier and strong migrant, they are expected to arrive in Britain in June, this is my first in May.....Make my day!

7 comments:

  1. Pete - You are getting some good quality images with your new camera enjoyed them.
    Quite a variety of birds seen around Marshaw bet you were pleased.
    I think you may be correct with the assumption that the Large Red Damselfy was resting on the case of a Four Spotted Chaser as there was just one single one flying around and no other Odonata except for Large Red Damselfly about.

    Thanks for the update.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian....The other two suggestions by the expert are in my opinion not likely to be seen emerging until June, hence I reckon Four-spotted Chaser.

    Thanks for positive comments on the new gear Ian.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great results with the new camera, Pete - what did you buy in the end?

    I found the Curlew clip to be most interesting, not just for the call, but because I have never seen a Curlew up in a tree and thought, until today, that they only ever landed on the ground.

    Bowled over with your sightings of so many flycatchers - for me it's a good year if I see one in the whole year, and totally exceptional if I see a Pied Flycatcher.

    With it being an acid bog, I too would suggest that it was a 4-spot, but then I'm not an expert!

    Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richard....I too found the Curlew behaving and calling as something new to me. The flycatcher sightings were to be expected in this area of Bowland.

    I'll be in touch re the camera issue Richard.

    Kind Regards to yourself and Lindsey....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting to see the Curlew up a tree! I have heard that call previously. Possibly an anxiety call near a nest site or young nearby? Never seen one up a tree myself. They will sit on stone walls and sing like Oystercatchers. I took a photo of a Red Grouse at the top of a tree in the Peak District years ago. Something else I had never seen before or since. Then again they are happy enough sitting on walls too. A great day out for you and 4 Spot Fly is a good haul anywhere these days. Well done Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this Steve. Looking forward to a meet, next week perhaps.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good that the Painted Ladies are on their way.
    I have seen them in past years on my Lilac bushes in my front garden which tend to come out mid May and usually pretty much gone by June.

    Cuckoo heard today at Birk Bank.

    Regards Ian

    ReplyDelete