BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Thursday 1 June 2023

A Decent Day Around Birk Bank.

The weather is settled now, and with warm sunny days in the forecast for the foreseeable future, I was off to see if the conditions were good enough to bring out the dragonflies on and over the bog at Birk Bank, they were being recorded everywhere else it seems.

Four Spotted Chaser Ovipositing. Pete Woodruff.

Although virtually impossible for accuracy, I found at least 30 Four Spotted Chaser, seen at long range at the east end of the bog viewed from the boardwalk, also a similar number of c.30 Large Red Damselfly, and an excellent count of 10 Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, whilst recalling Steve Graham had recorded 51 Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary here in June 2021. Also noted at and around the bog area, 2 Green Hairstreak, a single Common Blue, a Small Heath, and Common Lizard

Common Lizard. Pete Woodruff.

On a wander around, a Broad Bodied Chaser took me by surprise over the runnels at the west side of Ottergear bridge.

Red Grouse Young. Pete Woodruff.

A young Red Grouse crossed the path ahead of me, it was reacting to the call of a female with at least three other young eventually seen scurrying off. Birds were incredibly sparse, with the exception of at least 20 Willow Warbler mostly heard, a Cuckoo heard to call several times, a Garden Warbler gave great views as it checked out the gorse around Cragg Wood, a Tree Pipit parachuted onto a tree on Littledale Road, and a Song Thrush was on Rigg Lane.

Bilberry Bumblebee.

Ian Mitchell had the good fortune to find a Bilberry Bumblebee on Bird's-foot Trefoil at Birk Bank on Wednesday, an excellent record. 

The Bombus monticola has always been an uncommon species in Lancashire, more or less confined to northern and western parts of the UK, and almost entirely restricted to upland areas in Lancashire.

Bilberry Bumblebee. Ian Mitchell.

I also saw the red tail of a bumblebee at Birk Bank on Tuesday, but failed to keep up with the creature before disappearing from view. Based on Ian's sighting the day following my visit, I have noted a 'possible' Bilberry Bumblebee in my records.

6 comments:

  1. 20 Willow Warbler and 10 Small Pearl bordered Fritillary. I would love to see them in good numbers. Nice to see you had a good odo day and love the ovipositing video. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of your odonata would suit my fine in single numbers Marc, but I dream on. Pleased you liked the Four Spot video, not easy with my modest equipment.

    Keep on keeping on Marc.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good videos of the Four Spotted Chaser and Common Lizard Pete, they seem clearer than you last camera.

    Hope you spot a Bilberry Bumblebee.

    Thanks for the update

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Videos are the better option for this camera as it was with the last one. Must get a smart tele to watch my footage in 4K HD. I'm confident the bee I saw on Tuesday, and couldn't nail down for ID to separate from Red Tail, was a Bilberry Bumblebee.

    Thanks for comments Ian.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greatly enjoyed your 4-spot video, Pete, and was very envious of your lizard video too. I was recently at a place where I used to see lizards and Adders, but have not had any luck there for the past few years.

    Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary is a species that I can only dream of!

    That was an excellent day you had Birk Bank.

    Best wishes to you both - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard....Thanks for comments on the videos, about which, the tele mentioned previously to Ian, I have my eye on a Sony model which I will be taking a look at soon.

    Returning the Best Wishes to yourself and Lindsey....Pete.

    ReplyDelete