BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................PIED FLYCATCHER ABBEYSTEAD 24 APRIL PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 18 June 2023

Red Turns Gold!

Handsomely rewarded for a visit to a couple of my Bowland hot spots, namely Grisedale Bridge where mutt-minders abound, and Cam Brow, where at this time of year, sun worshipers flock....there's the pun!

The nicest surprise was, despite drawing a blank on two previous visits to Grisedale Bridge 29 April and 13 May, this time I found a male Redstart exactly one month later on 13 June, in precisely the same location it had been the two previous years.

But the Redstart which previously prospected the Ashand the Nuthatch previously nested, haven't chosen to do so in  this year.

The bigger surprise was, in one hour downstream from Grisedale Bridge to Holme Wood, I counted 12 Golden Ringed Dragonfly which included accounting for duplication. This record equaled my count of 12 on 11 July 2022. I also noted 3 Small Heath, and as I arrived back at the motor, a male Stonechat greeted me atop of Gorse.

Young Sand Martin can be seen in the video at the left hand nest.

A wander along the side of Cam Brook from Cam Brow to the Hawthornthwaite Fell track, Sand Martin were at the colony, where no more than four nest holes were active, 2 Golden Ringed Dragonfly and a Common Hawker were seen over Cam Brook.

Hawthornthwaite Fell. Pete Woodruff.

An hour on the fell track drew a blank for Stonechat, but definitely not the sheep. The c.14 Sand Martin colony were in the air up and down the brook, with 4 Meadow Pipit one carrying food, and 2 Small Heath noted. A Kestrel here was the only Bowland raptor seen all day.

Garden & Fairfield.

It was good to see our resident Blackbird had introduced an offspring into the garden yesterday, and was showing the Starlings some aggression. Also a young Dunnock seen and being fed by the parent....There is a colony of up to 30 Swift present and breeding in the Fairfield area of Lancaster.


Birk Bank.

Keeled Skimmer Pair. Ian Mitchell.

From the ever reliable Andrew Cornall. On Friday, 12 Keeled Skimmer, 8 male/4 female, including pairing and egg laying. This is an all time highest count on Birk Bank Bog. Well done Andrew....Rock On!

Conder Pool.

Mediterranean Gull 17 June. Howard Stockdale.

An adult and 2nd summer Mediterranean Gull were present yesterday morning on Conder Pool with thoughts of breeding....apparently not, they soon departed, but four were present at one point.

Thanks to Martin Jump for the Golden Ringed Dragonfly header image. 

6 comments:

  1. Nice video of the Blackbird taking advantage of your water - very uplifting.
    Shame you didn't see any Stonechats on the Hawthornthwaite path, there was definitely at least one and probably 2 pairs there last time I visited, but that was a couple of weeks ago.
    Glad to hear that the Golden-ringed Dragonflys are about, but butterflies still very scarce.
    Good you are getting out and about anyway.
    Thanks

    Ian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I was going to be jealous when I saw the title of your latest entry. 12 Golden ringed Dragonfly. Verrryyy nice! I will have to make the journey in the next few weeks to hopefully see some Kent ones. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc....The jealousy score is about 6 - 1 in your favour, and I reckon there will be some GRD's under your bet before long.

    Always good to know you keep your eyes in on B2B Marc.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ian....Too many sheep on the fells for my liking, and maybe for the Stonechats too, but I probably just didn't find them this time.

    I reckon Grisedale Bridge is by far the best place to be for GRD's, and I echo your comment re butterflies.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Marc, Pete, I'm a bright shade of green over your Golden-ringed Dragonflies, and your Keeled Skimmers didn't soften the blow in any way, shape, or form either!

    I'll forgive Martin that excellent header image!

    Best wishes to you and KT - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like I have said to Ian, I reckon Grisedale Bridge is by far the best place to be for GRD's, and I empathise with your shades of green Richard. Martin has been back to another good spot for the GRD's and achieved some excellent results.

    Regards to you and Lindsey. I hope you are both well.

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete