BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................PIED FLYCATCHER ABBEYSTEAD 24 APRIL PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 11 June 2023

Quality If Not Quantity.

Hard to know where to begin with notes from a richly rewarding circuit of Birk Bank and surrounding area, with at least three sightings of stand out quality.

Bombus monticola.  

It really does have to start with a bumblebee that has always been uncommon in Lancashire, and one that I yearned to find and was eventually fortunate to do so, it was the sight of the enigmatic Bilberry Bumblebee. 


The footage is a combination of mine and Ian Mitchell's. I have yet to ID the plant the Bilberry Bumblebee was on in the first section of the video, but in the second, the food plant was Bird's-foot Trefoil, with a Cuckoo calling in the distance.

Cuckoo.

Soon after I crossed Ottergear Bridge, one of 2 Cuckoo seen/heard today, flew by me and promptly landed atop of a tree, it was pursued and mobbed by a Tree Pipit which put the Cuckoo to flight....I saw neither of these birds again.

Birk Bank Bog.


In the video, of 2 Keeled Skimmer male seen, this is the one with the black mark on the left side of the abdomen previously seen on 5 June. Each time the second male came on the scene, it was immediately chased off, and returned to precisely the same spot on the same perch every time it moved off. Replies to my query about the mark, two experts agreed that it is the result of a scratch against undergrowth, or more likely caused during mating. 


Also on the bog, at least 6 Four-spotted Chaser and a good number of Large Red Damselfly with many coupled, also at least 20 Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary. Butterflies were in the unbelievably low bracket again, with just 2 Speckled Wood in my book today.

And The Rest....

Five singing male Blackcap, a Garden Warbler by Gragg Wood, also in this area, an adult Song Thrush was accompanied by a juvenile, and the expected and ever present Willow Warbler singing in good number.

Scorched Wing. Pete Woodruff.

When I found this moth, I instantly thought it had burns to its wings. Imagine my surprise to learn it's a Scorched Wing....Never heard if it, another first for me.

Saturday 10 June.

Fifteen minutes on the bank of the River Wyre downstream from St Michaels produced at least 50 Banded Demoiselle. Also good views of a male Blackcap, a Whitethroat, and 6 Speckled Wood....Great stuff. 

And Finally....

Andrew Cornall reports to me, 3 Keeled Skimmer at Birk Bank on Friday, including pairing and egg laying. This is the peak count to date of Keeled Skimmer at Birk Bank bog. 


Also Friday, Ian Mitchell's image of the Keeled Skimmers, clearly shows the cause of damage to the males abdomen during mating.


Thanks to Andrew Cornall and Ian Mitchell along with many others, for continuing to keep in touch with me, usually overloaded with interesting records and images. 

Also some excellent news from Steve Graham, when he reported a male Keeled Skimmer around the runnel at Ottergear Bridge 5 June. And Pat Waring who reported 2 Common Sandpiper chicks at Marshaw 4 June.

I'm also grateful to Martin Jump for his excellent Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary header, and for his good company this week.

6 comments:

  1. So so pleased you finally managed to find your Bilberry Bumblebee.
    I have never seen a Scorched Wing moth but if I remember correctly one was caught at Heysham nature reserved a couple of weeks ago - lucky you.
    Interesting about the marks on the Keeled Skimmer - things seem to be warming up a bit Odonata wise on Birk Bank lately.
    I have heard Cuckoos a few times lately at Birk Bank but yet to catch sight of one.

    As always thanks for the update from around the patch.

    Regards Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for looking in again Ian. I have much to be thankful for to you regarding the Bilberry Bumblebee, and the Scorched Wing moth really does have wings resembling burnt paper.

    Regards, and thanks again Ian....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The name of the plant you are looking for is Mouse-eared hawkweed.

    Glad to see you got to St Michaels which is where I'm going to now.

    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the plant ID Barry. To be honest I thought of asking you about this, but was loathe to bother you. I'm sure I will see your report re Banded Demoiselle at St Michaels.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your butterfly and dragonfly records continue to impress me and make me more than a little jealous, Pete.

    I'm sorry to say that there's more than an even chance that I'd not have given that Bilberry Bumblebee a second glance if I'd bumped into it. I really do have difficulty with bee ID - I must try and do better.

    I met my first and only Scorched Wing last year on June 6th - it was in my garden moth trap! A super moth, but reckoned to be "fairly common" in Leicestershire by the County Recorder.

    Best wishes - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this Richard....With your skills, I'm not convinced you would have to try very much harder to ID the bee. When I first set eyes on the moth, I thought its wings really had been scorched, such an appropriately named creature.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete