BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND...............................................................................................SOUTHERN HAWKER MARTIN JUMP

Sunday 11 August 2024

A Dedication.

THE COMMON TERNS CHAMPION.

I HAVE DEDICATED THIS POST TO THE MEMORY OF IAN PINKERTON WHO DIED 5 YEARS AGO YESTERDAY 10 AUGUST 2019. 

IAN PRETTY MUCH PITCHED CAMP AT CONDER POOL, HIS WIFE YVONNE OFTEN BROUGHT HIM LUNCH FROM THE CARAVAN PARK AS HE SPENT HOURS ON END WATCHING AND MAKING NOTES ON EVERY MOVE OF THE COMMON TERNS ON THE POOL DURING THE BREEDING SEASON.

Avocet Conder Green 1 August 2019. Ian Pinkerton.

This is the last of hundreds of images and e-mails Ian sent to me over his time at Conder Green. Something of an irony, as they are Avocet not Common Tern.

I WILL REMEMBER IAN PINKERTON FOREVER.

Four Hours Six Species.

I spent a couple of hours up to high tide at 3.00pm Conder Green on Friday, and if Conder Pool is going to turn up the odd goodie as it has done recently, I'd like to be in on the action if possible please.

According to PC, who stepped on to the Conder Pool viewing platform a couple of minutes after me, I had missed a Hobby earlier zooming over the creeks. But I spent a lot of time today reviewing the numbers of waders, and concluded that Tuesday's count now stood at an unprecedented minimum of 2,200 Redshank. The Avocet seen today, 2 adult and 3 juvenile. I counted 17 Greenshank, 8 Little Grebe again as on Tuesday, and 4 Swift over the creeks and pool could well be my last of the year.

Common Tern Adult & 2 Young. Pete Woodruff.

Of the Common Tern seen, two were begging young with an adult. I observed these two birds later for some time, they were being ignored by the adult which was constantly moving away from them.


By the time I left Conder Pool, in 4 hours I saw no fish being brought to these two young terns, and was left wondering if they were ever going to be fed!


As I approached the junction to turn left onto the A588 on my way back to Lancaster, a wader flying downstream shot in front of me and over the bridge, with a white rump and like an oversized House Martin....It was a Green Sandpiper.

Four hours, six species....Mmmm!

Migrant Hawker.

Martin Jump called by Conder Green on Friday, to tell me he was going to Saltcote Pond to see if he could find any dragonflies to photograph. I told Martin I might follow him there but didn't.

Migrant Hawker. Martin Jump.

Martin found a smart immature male Migrant Hawker which had me regretting running out of time to follow him there to see this beauty.

8 comments:

  1. Ian Mitchell
    Wow is it now 5 years ago that Ian Pinkerton passed away!
    I still clearly remember him camped out at Conder Pool, it was in fact Ian that gave me a card with B2B details on that steered me to this site.
    Looks like Redshank have had a good season.
    Very sharp picture of the Migrant Hawker - any idea what the anomaly is on its rear right wing?
    Hope Ian is still looking down on Conder Pool bless him.
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always Ian, I appreciate your comments. Yes, 5 years ago since IP moved on, and as for the anomaly on the dragons wing, I'll get in touch with MJ and see what he has to say, maybe it is photography related.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete
  2. David Eaves (Wigan)11 August 2024 at 18:50

    As a fellow Wiganer I spent many a time with Ian getting updates on the terms and avocets. It is great that the hide is named after him and you have dedicated this column to him. I am forever grateful to yourself, Ian, Howard and others who patiently assist me in identifying birds whenever I am in the area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David....Good to see you back on B2B, and I'm pleased you obviously keep in touch on here. Many thanks for your words relating to Ian's passing. Ian H and Howard S deserve it that you make a mention of them, info is always available for me too, they will both appreciate your mentioning them.

      Hope we meet again sometime soon David.

      Regards....Pete.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete
  3. Hi Pete, Nice words over your fellow and dedicated birdwatcher Ian. That is a blessing to be remembered like that and I am sure he is looking down and still making notes.
    I like your to read about your observation and to look at your grat photos. You are a dedicated nature lover as well.
    Greetings Lasse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your words about the dedication to Ian, and those that compliment myself and the blog. Thank You Lasse.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos. Nice to remember Ian with his photo. Here the most terns are left. Greets Caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always appreciate your visits and comments on my blog. Our Common Terns obviously leave us a little later than yours.

      For your interest, I had to retrieve your comments from 'Spam' to publish them here.

      Thank You Caroline....Regards Pete.

      Delete