BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..........................................................................................................DUNNOCK PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 4 August 2024

Dragonflies2blog!

Thursday 1 August.

I set off on my walk to the Aqueduct Ponds. It was my third visit here to look for the Emerald Damselfly, the first made on 4 August 2022, the second on 10 August 2023. On both these visits I was successful in finding the Emerald Damselfly.

Common Darter Millennium Park Footpath. Pete Woodruff.

From the footpath alongside the River Lune, I was a little surprised to find a female Common Darter. But not quite as surprised as I was to find a Banded Demoiselle from the same footpath on my walk here on 4 August 2022.

Banded Demoiselle Millennium Park Footpath 4 Aug 2022. Pete Woodruff.

I was disappointed not to find any Emerald Damselfly this time, hopefully perhaps too early, but to be honest I doubt that is the case, in my view the site has management issues, but that's another matter. 

Good views of 3 Brown Hawker including a female seen ovipositing, up to 8 Common Darter seen, including a pair in cop. Also 4 Common Blue Damselfly and a Blue-tailed Damselfly.

I made the return walk back to Lancaster via the canal which was a bit of a revelation in that I had a dragonfly in my sights along every straight length and round every bend of the canal along the 2 mile, and notched up a grand total of 23 Emperor Dragonfly including two female ovipositing, 12 Brown Hawker, 8 Common Darter, and 5 Common Blue Damselfly.

It was interesting and worrying, that in the 4 hours I noted just two species of butterfly, 9 Speckled Wood and 8 Large White.

Saturday 3 August.

Along a 2 mile stretch of the Lancaster Canal north of Garstang produced a lone male Emperor Dragonfly, 3 Brown Hawker, 3 Gatekeeper, 2 Red Admiral, and a Kingfisher.

The Dorset Mega.

The Scarlet Darter is an African species that extends into Eurasia. It was once common only in the Mediterranean region, but is becoming an increasingly common sight further north.

Scarlet Darter. Marc Heath.

My man in Kent gave me the heads-up about this stunning dragonfly found in Dorset last week. You can find his report and accompanying excellent images at Kent Dragonflies    

Thanks to Martin for the header image, and to Marc for info and image of the Mega Darter. 

8 comments:

  1. Pete -
    Like the way you have said dragonflies2blog, quite appropriate, as the only bird mentioned is a Kingfisher!
    Funnily enough I was contemplating a visit to the aqueduct ponds myself this week but when I went past the car park was full, shame no Emerald Damselfly.
    That Scarlet Darter looks quite exotic. Quite a lot seen on the canal apart from butterflies. I have forwarded you the Butterfly Conservation August newsletter which says that this is the worst year in the 14 years of the big butterfly count, quite depressing.

    Thanks as always for the good pictures and blog.

    Ian Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated Ian, in particular your concluding sentence which compliments the good pictures and blog. Thank You.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete
  2. The title had me hooked. A nice variety of odonata seen and many thanks for the blog plug. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome to the plug for Kent Dragonflies Marc....No charge!

      Delete
  3. Hello Pete,
    very nice to see, my attempts to photograph dragonflies are doomed to failure, I'm always too slow...;-)
    Thanks for showing Pete
    Greetings Frank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard to believe all your attempts at dragon photos are failures Frank, sorry to hear that but do keep on trying.

    Good to see you back Frank, and thanks for looking in.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pete!!! Nice photos of these damselflies... I hope you are well and the weather is nice... In Spain the intense heat is unbearable... Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the comments Ana. Our weather is not too good at the moment, quite the opposite to your unbearable heat.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete