BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 12 April 2009

Birds2blog....Mmmmm!

More like Wildflowers2blog today as I was 'tide up' (excuse the pun) with WeBS counting and with commitments either side of the survey. However there was - or I reckon was - a bonus to this as I caught sight from Bodie Hill at Glasson Dock of a 'large' bird with laborious wing beats only moments before it became too distant and difficult to track. One thing for sure it wasn't a 'gull' and as been entered in my records book as a 'probable' Osprey flying north. The only other non WeBS record in my book today was 2,000+ Pink - footed Geese at the western end of Pilling Marsh.
As for the flower....I was delighted to see Snake's Head Fritillary Fritillaria meleagris - the only species of fritillary native to Britain - at a site I prefer not to name on here. None of the other members of the fritillaria genus can match this native wildflower for the bizarre colouring of its bell - shaped flower which always has a pronounced checked pattern all over. Due to changing land use it is now quite rare in the wild.

Unfortunately - sadly even - I no longer have JL to guide me towards the rarer flowers of our land but will never forget the excitement of finding the rare Marsh Gentian with him many years ago just over the border and into his native Yorkshire.




4 comments:

  1. Evening Pete,

    I'm back for the Spring and keeping an eye on Birds2blog for news on that next rare Calidrid in the Dunlin roost at Cockersands in May!

    Keep up the good work.

    CB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope to 'bump' into you there - or anywhere - sometime soon Colin.

    I'll settle for 100+ Sanderling at Cockersands again, c.130 May 31 2007 an excellent record. Last year I saw a solitary bird there on 20 May.

    Thanks for your contribution.


    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be delighted to hear that fritillaria is the latin word for a dice-box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to hear from you Joy, and that you obviously look in on the blog at least occasionally, please continue to do so.

    Thanks for the info on fritillaria.


    Pete.

    ReplyDelete