BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK RIVER CONDER HOWARD STOCKDALE

Sunday 19 July 2015

The Hat Trick.

I achieved a Heysham hat trick - and my own low quality photo gallery - by making my third visit there in as many weeks. 

There's usually a good high tide gull roost on Red Nab, always best to get there at least two hours before the tide, giving time to check the power station outfalls before settling down to grill the gulls on the nab. I find looking for the Mediterranean Gulls amongst the predominant Black-headed Gull something to enjoy, when the optics pick up an adult Med in summer plumage, it immediately stands out as a much more elegant and attractive bird....I luv'em, and on 8 July no less than twenty one were reported here.

Mediterranean Gull

On Thursday I found 6 Mediterranean Gull, including an adult and a 2cy bird of which I managed a half decent pic to put in my gallery.

Whimbrel

I also managed another half decent shot, this of one of the 2 Whimbrel here.

Ringed Plover

A walk along the sea wall to the south side of the harbour had me finding this Ringed Plover. I have no idea what the bird was doing a little out of context here, but it stayed quite close to me and was calling excitedly all the time as it would do to young of which I found none and to be honest didn't expect to, so I was unable to work out why this bird was here and behaving in this manner. 


Gatekeeper Marc Heath 

Walking back through the reserve I found at least 8 Gatekeeper butterflies.

At Conder Green, an adult and one young Common Tern seen, also 9 Common Sandpiper, a Greenshank, a Sedge Warbler and Reed Bunting. The light on a pair of Greenfinch I saw turned the male into one of the most attractive and colourful of its kind.

On the Lune Estuary, 3 Mediterranean Gull were seen as an adult and two 2cy birds. Also 9 Little Egret and an adult Common Tern flying off the estuary towards Conder Pool. Incidentally, I saw a report of 3 adult Common Tern at Conder Green last Wednesday. 

Thanks to Marc Heath for the Gatekeeper, the only decent photograph in the post. Also thanks to GG for the Whitethroat header, excellent on both counts and much appreciated.

6 comments:

  1. Still read all the reports Pete and keep up the good sightings and reports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you using more of your own images, Pete.

    It seems to be a bumper year for Gatekeeper this year - Ringlets and Meadow Brown too!

    Have a great week - - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Whimbrel image is certainly better than the ones I have Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marc....Thanks for looking in and for the feedback, much appreciated.

    Richard....Just a bit of improvised photography, but thanks for your comments.

    Warren....I'll take your word for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pete, go easy on yourself, nothing wrong with those images mate!! I've yet to get a Whimbrel in front of the camera, and only got my first image of a Ringed Plover last weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gary....Thanks for your encouragement about my photographic attempts, but just to say, your latest Osprey encounter in Scotland and subsequent images, like you said....'it doesn't get any better than this'.

    ReplyDelete