BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Thursday 10 March 2016

Out For Lunch!

It was mid-day by the time my birding took off yesterday, and when I got to Cockersands the high tide had been an hour ago, but none of this mattered, things were a little quiet, though c.450 Golden Plover were in the field off Slack Lane as were 8 Pied Wagtail, and the Barn Owl was hunting again over the rough field behind Lower Bank House.

I was beginning to feel a little despondent when I glimpsed a bird diving off the hedge towards the ditch - a Robin I muttered to myself - binos to my eyes, the bird has gone to perch on a fence post, heyup....it's a stonking male Stonechat.

On the Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock, at least 900 Black-tailed Godwit were upstream from the Conder mouth, with c.170 Curlew9 Goldeneyeup to 200 Wigeon, and a Great-crested Grebe to note. Over Colloway Marsh, the c.8,000 Pink-footed Geese I saw on Monday were disturbed and in the air to come down again north towards Heaton Marsh. I noted 2 Great-crested Grebe and 14 Tufted Duck on the canal basin.


Little Grebe Conder Pool. Pete Woodruff.

Conder Pool was quiet, with 3 Little Grebe and a Snipe on 'Tern Island' but things livened up when 11 Black-tailed Godwit dropped in. A Grey Wagtail was on the Conder below the road bridge, and 3 Goosander were seen in the creeks.

Footnote.


Stonechat Martin Jump 

A year ago today 10 March, I saw 11 migrant Stonechat on Jeremy Lane/Moss Lane, AC saw thirteen same day, same area.

Thanks to Martin for his little gem....Brilliant.

2 comments:

  1. I love a Stonechat to visit my patch this Spring pete.....fingers crossed eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to be round about now if you are Warren, here's hoping for you.

    ReplyDelete