BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................PLOVER SCAR LIGHT AND BLACK COMBE OVER THE BAY PETE WOODRUFF

Friday 28 October 2016

Bowland Birds....Well Sumovem!

The decent weather continued on Tuesday - though we've said goodbye to the best of it since - and I decided it was perfect for another peruse in Bowland to see if I could find any more Stonechat looking set to winter up there, also with a hope to see winter thrushes, and anything else I could find.

Autumn Beech. Pete Woodruff.

There are some brilliant trees on the stretch between Marshaw and beyond Trough Bridge, not least the Beech which are looking spectacular with their stunning autumn leaves.

On a wander through this area to the fringe of Winfold Fell, 8 Robin and a number of Chaffinch along the route were notable, a Dipper and Grey Wagtail were on the Marshaw Wyre. Up the track behind Tower Lodge, a Jay called, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit and a Song Thrush were seen, with a Sparrowhawk drifting overhead and 2 Buzzard  were together soaring and mewing. 

Brambling. Noushka Dufort @ 1000-Pattes

When I got back down to the Trough Road, I saw four birds go into a tree, when I got on to them briefly they were 4 Brambling which promptly flew out of the tree from the backside and I lost them.

As I went on to the track to Winfold Fell at least 120 Fieldfare came up out of the heather to drop back down further up the fell, 2 Red Grouse exploded out of the heather with their usual bouncing bark, and a Wren seen.

It was good to find 3 Stonechat at the lower end of Hawthornthwaite Fell, giving reason to suspect two pairs set to winter here. I had found 13 Red Grouse within the first 30 minutes on here, with 4 Wren seen one of which was seeing another off, 2 Raven were overhead. 

It didn't matter that the list only reached 20 species in a four hour Bowland trawl, there's nothing unusual about that, my notes read it was enjoyable and rewarding for the birds seen, whilst noting the birds I didn't see.

Thanks for the Brambling Noushka, much appreciated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment