BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND..............................................................................SCAUP CONDER POOL 5 MARCH PAUL ELLIS

Friday 22 June 2018

Short But Very Sweet.

A red-letter day at Birk Bank....Not least because 5 Keeled Skimmer were on the bog, with the bonus of a pair seen copulating, followed by the female observed ovipositing minutes later. Also on the bog, into a double figure of up to 10 Four-spotted Chaser, later a Broad-bodied Chaser was on the damp patch at Ottergear Bridge. 

The images just about manage to creep up to my standard.

Keeled Skimmer Birk Bank Bog 22 June. Pete Woodruff.

Keeled Skimmer Pair Mating 22 June. Pete Woodruff.

Birds of the day on and around Birk Bank to follow when time allows me.

4 comments:

  1. Nicely documented Pete. Great to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marc....It was good to see the Keeled Skimmers at Birk Bank again. I know this is your chosen area, and to be honest I knew you would like this and would make a comment.

    The true worth of the dragonfly is aesthetic and is priceless, but given these circumstances, it's a pity my photography is never likely to improve, but I've learned to live with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you are finding these dragons, Pete. I probably won't see a Keeled Skimmer this year, and have yet to see my first Broad-bodied Chaser for the year!

    Keep up the good work - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the record....Not found in the true sense of the word, though I did in fact find the KS on Friday, I understand it had been seen the day before, but this takes nothing away from the fact I was elated to see this local rarity once again on Birk Bank bog for my third year.

    I hope you are wrong about not seeing one for yourself this year, and the BBC will almost certainly come your way.

    Thanks for your comments Richard.

    ReplyDelete