BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 20 September 2020

Hawker Hunt.

When I looked through my records, by coincidence I had chosen the same date as last year for a saunter along the canal towpath Glasson Dock - Galgate yesterday. Having walked an extra 2 miles this time, I didn't even equal let alone exceeded the same 54 Migrant Hawker seen on 19 September 2019.

On this pleasant saunter, the dragonflies seen, 24 Migrant Hawker, 4 Emperor Dragonfly, 3 Brown Hawker and 2 Common Darter.

Green-veined White
 
Butterflies were sparse, with singles of Green-veined WhiteCommaSpeckled Wood, Small Tortoiseshell, and 2 Silver Y moths.

Comma

Until I saw it on my computer, I had no idea the Comma that took off the instant I pressed the shutter, had resulted in this creative image. 

Tipula oleracea

The Crane-Fly caught my eye.
 
Birds of any note were also sparse, but a Chiffchaff was singing nicely by Christ Church at Glasson Dock....

VIEW FULL SCREEN

....and at least 60 Swallow gave me a few extra minutes of feel-good factor on this enjoyable Hawker Hunt.

And Finally....  

Greylag Conder Pool 16 Sept. Howard Stockdale.

2016 Ambleside, Cumbria 25 June. Ringed SAN as a female.
2017 Barnacre Reservoir, Lanc's 9 October.
2017 Barnacre Reservoir, Lanc's 10 October
2017 Knaresborough, North York's 18 November.
2018 Nateby, Lanc's 24 December.
2018 Abbeystead, Lanc's 16 March.
2018 Langden Head, Bowland 26 June.
2018 Stocks Reservoir, Bowland 23 November.
2019 Stocks Reservoir, Bowland 21 January.
2019 Stocks Reservoir, Bowland 26 June.
2020. Conder Green, Lanc's 16 September.

Thanks to Kane Brides for the history of SAN. Also thanks to Howard for the excellent Little Stint header image.  

1 comment:

  1. Even if it didn't come up to your 2019 total, Pete, 24 Migrant Hawkers is an impressive count.

    I'm grinning at the Comma shot - wonderful!

    It seems to have been an exceptionally good year for Silver Y !?

    Best wishes to you and KT - take good care - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete