BIRDS2BLOG....BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.......................PIED FLYCATCHER ABBEYSTEAD 24 APRIL PETE WOODRUFF

Monday 1 April 2024

The Short List!

A short list on a restricted visit, with nothing much to shout about on a recent blast around the Lune Estuary, but I did find my first 2 Wheatear at Cockersand....well where else, seen together from the path above Plover Scar, from where I noted 82 Dunlin, 55 Ringed Plover, and 46 Turnstone.

On the Lune Estuary as viewed from Glasson, 23 Avocet were distant upstream from the Conder Estuary. More obliging were 86 Black-tailed Godwit a few were feeding below the bowling green as the tide came in, some looking smart in their advancing rufous breeding plumage, and two of which were ringed. Other interest here was up to 1,500 Knot, a number of which I don't ever recall seeing on the Lune Estuary here before, also 4 Eider were of note. 

I'm grateful to Richard du Feu and to Boddi for their help in recording the Black-tailed Godwits. I look forward to seeing the history of both these godwits from Boddi in Iceland.

Woodchat Shrike.

Todays plan was to mow the lawns, but the weather had other ideas. So to find something to fill the gap, I looked through my records of 10 years ago, to find anything of interest in my birding for 1 April, but the best I could find wasn't until May 2014.

On this day I had intended to walk the embankment south from March Point, to return via the footpath towards Lancaster.

Bank Pool From Dawson's Bank. Pete Woodruff.

Having walked just a few hundred metres, I spotted a bird atop of this tree....

Woodchat Shrike Aldcliffe 8 May 2014. Jo Bradley.

....it was instantly recognisable as a stunning male Woodchat Shrike....My passion for the birds had gone through the roof once again! 

10 comments:

  1. Good header picture of then Mediterranean gulls and great video of the Godwits.
    Still to see a Wheatear this year but hopefully will soon.
    Woodchat Shrike, what a bird to come across.

    Thanks for the update.

    Ian Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The header is now of the Black-tailed Godwits on the estuary, which is what it was supposed to have been in the first place.

      Appreciate your looking in and comments Ian.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete
  2. Good to see the Godwits coming into breeding plumage in your very enjoyable video, Pete.

    I can imagine your excitement at finding the Woodchat Shrike. My only self-found one was on Corsica, many years ago, where they are quite common.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the shrike was very exciting, and was the cause of my doing a walk of a few metres instead of 2 miles.

    Appreciate your looking in and comments Richard.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding any bird is pretty special but a Woodchat Shrike. That's a real beauty. A good selection of birds seen as ever and a smart video too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always pleased to see you on B2B Marc.

    Regards....Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos. I like the birds. Have a nice weekend. Greetings Caroline .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline. Hope you have a nice weekend too.

      Regards....Pete.

      Delete
  7. Hi Pete. Caravan has now opened and I am able to once again regularly visit the Glasson area using your blog to check out what is about. Happy to report I saw the spotted redshank in the creek opposite Conder Pool, a first for me. However I was a little concerned to see all the saplings at the back of Conder Pool have been chopped down and laid flat. Is this to allow easier viewing from the canal towpath as unfortunately it also allows easier access? Keep up the good work and hope to bump into you at some point. David from Wigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David....To hear you say the caravan is opened up again, was music to my ears. Pleased you saw the Spotted Redshank, keep your eyes on it if it stays around, you will be amazed at the speedy transformation from winter to summer plumage, eventually becoming black as the devils waistcoat in it's breeding attire.

      Hope to see you sometime soon David. Regards....Pete.

      Delete