BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Tuesday 28 April 2009

Rain stopped play....again.

The rain stayed away for longer than forecast today and I succeeded with some birding until 3.00 before retreating to the car for shelter and pointing the bonnet towards Lancaster.

Starting with a look down the Conder channel from the coastal path a Greenshank was soon found with 32 Redshank counted - well I do have to remind myself now and again that I contribute to the WeBS survey once a month so good to keep practicing the numbers game - also singles Black and Bar - tailed Godwit. On Conder Pool I found just the one Little - ringed Plover again today but 2 Common Sandpiper today now means well never know when/if the winter bird left, a pair of Wigeon are still on here and the Black Swan has taken up on the pool and I also saw my first 2+ House Martin here. There was no sign of any Spotted Redshank here or on the estuary today. From Bodie Hill a Peregrine Falcon and one seen a couple of hours later at Cockersands could have been the same bird. Also here to note, 9 Eider is a drastic reduction in number of late, 3 Wheatear, c.10 Tree Sparrow, a Grey Partridge, 4 Skylark, a Sedge Warbler was singing on Moss Lane, and 2 Stock Dove are something of a rarity here. I didn't take particular notice of the Brown Hare here today but did note four.

By now I was walking in the rain at Pilling Marsh but persevered and found at least 3 Whimbrel and c.500 Pink - footed Geese are still on the marsh. At Fluke Hall another 2 Wheatear seen but now the rain was getting serious, and I was getting serious too......about going home as I don't subscribe to too much 'birding by car' I'll leave that until my legs seize up.

Many thanks to Brian Rafferty for permission to post his photograph of the Curlew on this blog in order to help out with my diminishing stock of suitable pic's......stand by JB!

No comments:

Post a Comment