BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Monday 15 June 2009

Overtime Rate!


I was up on the Clougha/Birk Bank Stonechat run today in excess of 5.50 hours - I'll get overtime rate for that I hope - but well worth it and well rewarded in that I found 20 birds today. The figure compares well with 27 June 2007 when I found 21 birds but puts last years figure on 23 June 2008 in the shade with just 4 birds seen on that visit in a summer best forgotten in terms of successful breeding.

Also of note here today were 12 Willow Warbler, my figure here last month on 30 May was nearly twice the number with 21 seen/heard. I found two of the oddly named Garden Warbler and I don't recall seeing this species here before and certainly only ever previously saw 'a couple' of Blackcap here. 

Talking of numbers down this year I saw just 9 Meadow Pipit today and only 12 on my last visit here on 30 May, so more food for thought there too. Other notes were 2 Raven, 3 Buzzard, 2 male Kestrel including an ariel dispute with one bird having prey in its talons, 9 Wren, a male Reed Bunting - these blighters can fool you into thinking male Stonechat in flight or perched at a distance - 3 Red Grouse, and a Mistle Thrush. Butterflies seen were, 2 Small Pearl - bordered Fritillary, 2 Painted Lady, and 5 Small Heath.

The appropriate pic for today of the Stonechat is yet another with thanks from Brian Rafferty. I'll be sending out my bills at the end of the month Brian!

4 comments:

  1. Pete. You really do put in the hours !! and it has paid off for you today with excellent nos of stonechat. Glad you have had a great day out in one of your special places. Bowland does seem to be producing the goods at the moment, and I can't think of a better place to be.Look out for my e-mail re spot/ fly. Hope you can help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reckon I saw some of "your" Whinchats (from a recent post)out at Cross o' Greet this afternoon Pete. Pleasing to see up to 4 pairs there but I was even more thrilled to find a couple of pairs of Golden Plovers on the high fells. As Brian says - a magic place.

    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Stonechat image, well worth the hours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for comments BR/CB/LBJ.

    Guinness Book of Records stuff the 10 Whinchat in this area on 1 June Colin. Wish I could commit myself to following them all up on breeding successes but not too sure I'll achieve that.

    ReplyDelete