BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.................................................SPOTTED REDSHANK CONDER GREEN HOWARD STOCKDALE

Thursday 15 July 2010

Part Time Birding!


I was never going to be able to go birding today but circumstances changed and I managed one of those four hour jobs in the afternoon. I know a man who may be able to contradict this but until he does....Conder Pool held another two first records today with....


not one....


not two....


but three Little Egrets, and - in relation to its size as a small reserve - it lived up to its good name by also holding a record 520 Redshank. A Little Ringed Plover is still sat on a nest, but I'm becoming increasingly worried for it not least for the weather we are having at the moment and eggs about to hatch, also 2 Spotted Redshank, and 2 Greenshank, a Kingfisher flew across the pool and was my first sighting since 15 March but hopefully this should be regular now for a few months until the onset of winter when it will be seen less frequently. 


On the circuit I counted at least 13 Common Sandpiper, found another c.125 Redshank and c.135 Dunlin in the Conder channel downstream from the old railway bridge, and 5 Black-tailed Godwit - three in the picture above - were in the creek.

In about an hours time there would be an almost 10m tide at its height and everywhere awash, driving down Jeremy Lane whilst deciding what next I saw the Little Owl on the old farm building as I had done on Tuesday but forgot to record it. I headed to Knott End with a negative result, but on the way had called in at Cockers Dyke to find one of those smart adult Mediterranean Gulls.

Today's moderate photographic efforts during some part time birding are by yours truly. Tomorrow I'm definitely unable to go birding....so life's not all that great after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment