BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 8 December 2010

Now some good news....


Pheasant. Warren Baker

I was pleased to see the good news that the BASC have called for restraint on the shooting of wildfowl, geese, and waders during this severe cold weather we are suffering at the moment, though in 5 days time it will become illegal to shoot at all. I'd like to point out that as a birder with a moral responsibility towards the welfare of all wildlife I shall report any shooting activities I witness - as you can too using a contact form on the BASC Website - until this weather improves and the subsequent ban is lifted. I'm not sure the poor Pheasant will be protected by all this. I'm damned if I know off hand what a 'pure' Pheasant should look like but thanks to Warren for the excellent 'mug shot' of the bird above.

As expected I got no birding done today but I live in hope for tomorrow. Meanwhile another opportunity to look at a couple more excellent photographs like....

Black Redstart. Phil Slade

This one from Phil taken on his recent trip to places exotic. And this one....

Crimson-mantled Woodpecker. Colin Bushell.

Of the Crimson-mantled Woodpecker taken by Colin on his recent trip to places exotic. Unlike the Black Redstart Phil photographed which you can find in this country, I wouldn't be inclined to hold your breath until you see this 'woodpecker' here in the UK.

I'D SOONER BE BIRDING!

   

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for that Pete, I'll bookmark that link and make a note of the contact details. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful Black Redstart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this Linda and good to hear from you again and note you're looking in on Birds2blog for which I thank you very much.

    This goes for you too Bob, and yes a beautiful Black Redstart beautifully photographed by PS as usual, he takes a 'cool pic' always.

    ReplyDelete