BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................PLOVER SCAR LIGHT AND BLACK COMBE OVER THE BAY PETE WOODRUFF

Thursday 3 February 2011

Oh I do....

.....like to be beside the seaside!


The groynes along the promenade at Morecambe have become popular roosting sites for some of the waders in the bay as my miserable attempt at photographing a few of them today might indicate.

I decided it would be a good idea to check out the promenade again today either side of the tide starting at Teal Bay where I could only find 2 Scaup female from the previously recorded six of late, also to note here were 12 Pintail and just 3 Bar-tailed Godwit amongst the Oystercatcher throng with unimpressive numbers of Dunlin, Redshank, and Curlew. Some kind soul keeps putting up fat balls here and 3 Long-tailed Tits and a Dunnock were showing interest whilst I was here today.

Off Broadway an adult Mediterranean Gull, at least 20 Goldeneye also off here was exceptional by recent standards. Other birds noted along the way to the Stone Jetty, 38 Eider, 3 Red-breasted Merganser, and at least 13 Great-crested Grebe, on the jetty groyne 15 Turnstone were of note.

It turned out to be a pleasant birding morning at Morecambe with some decent sunshine though a pretty unfriendly wind which is forecast to become even more strong and unfriendly with heavy rain thrown in for good measure.

On arriving back at the motor I felt a strange magnetic feeling come over me and twenty minutes later found myself at Conder Green where I found a Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, Common Sandpiper, 3 Grey Plover, and 4 Little Grebe. Conder Pool was quiet but 4 Goldeneye have taken up there.

And there ended my contribution to the recording of the birds of Morecambe Bay - well a mere fraction of it anyway - and Conder Green.

And finally....

Kestrel. Peter Fletcher.

I was more than a little impressed when I saw this photograph of the Kestrel by moonlight. Many thanks for letting me have this for Birds2blog, it is much appreciated Peter.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment