BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Monday 14 March 2011

Spring in the air.


Meadow Pipit. David Cookson

Spring was definitely in the air today weather-wise but still not taken off  bird-wise, and the odd Sand Martin/Wheatear didn't present themselves to me in the four hours I was 'at it' today. But you should be able to add a few hundred MP's to your records any time soon. 

At Conder Green 2 Spotted Redshanks, neither if which is yet showing any sign of plumage transformation, but watch how rapid it does once it gets underway - white to black - amazing. On Conder Pool another 'fingers crossed' bird - the Little Ringed Plover hasn't arrived yet, though I'm getting too impatient here, 12/14 days maybe. To fill the empty space in my book I noted on the pool, a single Goldeneye, 6 Wigeon, 45 Mute Swans, and 2 Greylag, a Lapwing on here will no doubt make a breeding attempt and won't take kindly to the LRP if/when it shows up here.

The Lune Estuary from Glasson Dock was looking like a summers day with a lack of abundance in bird-life, but I noted estimates of, 220 Curlew and 60 Dunlin, 4 Goldeneye, 4 Goosander and as previously noted no more than mid-fifties of Wigeon. On Colloway Marsh, though distant and hazy for any accuracy I reckon in excess of 1,000 Pink-footed Geese. From Bodie Hill, c.130 Black-tailed Godwit and 12 Goldeneye seen. On Jeremy Lane, at the north end in the beet fodder field 12 Linnet, 3 Skylark, and 2 Reed Bunting, further along the lane, 3 Whooper Swans still, being an adult and two immatures....for how much longer  wonder.

If I'm honest I hoped for my first Wheatear at Cockersands but that didn't materialise and nothing much else did either, but I noted just 8 Linnet at the winter seed field, 13 Tree Sparrows and 5 Reed Bunting at/around Bank Houses and counted 11 Brown Hare on the circuit. From here I could see the 'swans' in the field adjacent to Bank End Farm though distant and hazy but 4 Whooper Swans present there 22 February and 4 March were almost certainly there again today....Come in No 4 times up!

And finally....


In our area the Dipper is a widely distributed species though rather uncommon and a decreasing resident breeder, and yes, this one bears a metal ring. Thanks for the excellent photographs DC/BR, much appreciated.

And here's another Dipper, the video is excellent and the bird shows no fear of  fast moving water.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing my movie on your blog!

    Kah Wai
    http://kwbirding.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure and everyone elses too Kah Wai.

    ReplyDelete