BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Monday 15 August 2011

The Usual Suspects.


Well a few of them anyway.

I've also accumulated quite a number of brilliant images from some birder/photographers I know, the first of today's is....

Merlin. Colin Bushell

My favourite raptor the smart little Merlin which Colin found at Hesketh Out Marsh recently, the caption read 'Magnificent Merlin'....I'll second that.

White-throated Robin. Gary Jenkins

Gary joined the hordes at Hartlepool, Durham in June to see and photograph this little gem which caused quite a stir during its stay there. As for me....I managed to get some time in today but despite some considerable effort uncovered nothing other than a few of the usual suspects in the Conder/Glasson/Cockersands/Bank End area.

At Conder Green it took me thirty seconds to establish Conder Pool to be deserted save two lonesome drake Wigeon. On the circuit I noted 6 Common Sandpiper, at least 80 Redshank with which - when they took to flight - I saw briefly with them a same size wader definitely not a Redshank. I reckon if you're planning a visit here sometime soon you may find a Ruff which I'm refusing to record having lost the bird to view and didn't find again despite trying to. Also noted, 4 Swift over, maybe my last of 2011, and House Martins are still visiting nest at River Winds.

On the Lune Estuary at Glasson Dock which I mistimed - I'm pretty good at mistiming - 'cos the tide was well up but had driven at least 900 Redshank to closer quarters than usual, c.250 Dunlin, 320 Golden Plover, a Greenshank, and 55 Bar-tailed Godwit are a remnant of what they've been during most of the summer here, up to 90 Canada Geese were noted on Colloway Marsh.

The waders at Cockersands were confined to Plover Scar on the high tide and I noted 2 Whimbrel, c.20 Ringed Plover, 10 Dunlin, and a solitary Turnstone, a passing Peregrine Falcon soon changed the landscape....but shouldn't that be waderscape! Eleven Eider seen included two adults and two young, these birds have been seen here on two recent visits 28 July/3 August and have always been in the same area separated from the rest and were three young then, a Wheatear also seen, and a brief raptor in flight and soon over the hedge was Merlin/Sparrowhawk of which I'll plump for the latter. One of the most notable records of the day in my book was that of 18 Greenfinch here.

On Hillam Lane at least 40 Tree Sparrow seen from a moving car. And at Bank End I noted a Common Sandpiper, 2 Black-tailed Godwit, and c.15 distant Linnet on the marsh.

And finally....

Stonechat. Warren Baker

A nice image of the juvenile Stonechat from my man in Kent, the most dedicated patchworker I know....bar none.

Whinchat/ Wheatear. Warren Baker

And....whats the odds on this happening again....a pretty amazing photograph.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even get the usual suspects today Pete! A very strange day :-)

    Thanks for the kind comments mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some nice birds in that list Pete! I would give my right arm to call some of those species `The Usual Suspects` on my patch!
    J
    Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES

    ReplyDelete