BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Thursday 29 November 2012

Back In Business.

Hard to believe, apart from last Saturdays miserable - in terms of birding - walk in the Aldcliffe area I've not been out since a week ago Wednesday 21 November, so it was good to be back in business again yesterday.

Spotted Redshank Antonio Puigg 


I visited Conder Green but just took in Conder Pool as the tide was at its height and I forfeited a wander round. I found a Spotted Redshank, 3 Little Grebe, 3 Goosander, and 5 Snipe. Thanks to AP for the image of the adult and juvenile Spotted Redshank which is good for separation/comparison. 

At Glasson Dock on the Lune Estuary there appeared to be a slight increase in numbers with c,3,000 Golden Plover estimated, and 350 Dunlin, I noted at least 10 Bar-tailed Godwit, a solitary Black-tailed Godwit, and c.420 Wigeon. On the canal basin a 1st winter drake Goldeneye noted, and on Jeremy Lane c.55 Fieldfare and a single Redwing seen.

At Cockersands 53 Turnstone were on the edge of Plover Scar, and I saw a Peregrine Falcon over the lighthouse and followed it in my telescope until I lost it to view over Middleton Sands, I noted c.700 Wigeon at the point off Sunderland. A Rock Pipit is always a bonus bird, and when I got to the caravan park end 10 Whooper Swan were taking rest on the far bank of the Cocker Estuary. Also at this end, at least 2,000 Wigeon and a 'few' Pintail noted, with a Little Egret glimpsed as it disappeared into a ditch. Whilst scanning around I came across a brilliant mid-distance female/juvenile Merlin giving excellent views, c.12 Greenfinch flew up off the ground and when I checked them out in the tree they went to they were accompanied by a single Twite.


Cockersands. Pete Woodruff. 

Some more nice skies at Cockersands again on Wednesday late afternoon....fills your screen a bit more if you 'clik the pik'.

And a good time was had by all!

Interesting if sad....

The first two birds I saw at Cockersands yesterday afternoon were 2 Black-tailed Godwit. I was saddened to see both birds had a broken wing, not nice viewing, but I was intrigued that in the first place these two were in the company of each other, one with the left wing broken, the other the right wing, but how on earth did these two birds of the same species come to be together both having suffered the same injury at or around the same time....a sad and mysterious pair of book-ends I thought. They were feeding well together and otherwise appeared in good health, but a bird with a broken wing is to say the least not good.

And finally....


Cirl Bunting Ana Minguez

Another of those 'you won't be seeing one of these sometime soon in our area and beyond' pics....Thanks Ana, a little beauty.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning!!! .. That attractive pictures! .. I love the scenery .. beautiful sky! .. A hug from Madrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pete,
    Maybe those Godwits were flying side by side when they stuck an overhead line, if there are any lines there ?

    PS: I'll not check the Yellowhammers for a Cirl Bunting anymore them :-(

    ReplyDelete