BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Tuesday 10 September 2013

Birding....Just A Thought!

I don't think KT thought it funny when I suggested, by way of a change I thought I'd get out and do a spot of birding. I was reminded, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit....ah well. I didn't think it funny either as I took my own suggestion very serious and off I went. 

I think this is called birding your patch....

At Conder Green where the River Conder was in spate, much more than I expected, an adult Spotted Redshank and a Greenshank were in the creeks, with 3 Common Sandpiper. On Conder Pool I could only locate 5 Little Grebe which is one down on the two previous visits, 2 Little Egret, 2 Wigeon and a Dunnock noted.


Golden Plover Richard Pegler

Of note on the Lune Estuary a Glasson Dock, 3 Mediterranean Gull were all adult, a Common Sandpiper, c.450 Golden Plover is my best count so far this year, 3 Black-tailed Godwit, and a Little Egret.

I got myself to Plover Scar at Cockersands about 1.5 hours before high tide to find 3 Curlew Sandpiper, a single Sanderling, 4 Turnstone, a Whimbrel, and estimated similar numbers as the previous visit on last Thursday, with at least 350 Dunlin and 250 Ringed Plover. A movement of 20 Wheatear was obvious with three groups of 9/6/5 found in three fields, also noted were 14 Goldfinch, with 8 Tree Sparrow around Bank Houses, 3 Brown Hare seen. 


Turnstone
Turnstone David Cookson 

Whilst watching one of the most appropriately named waders - the Turnstone - I was quite amazed at the size/weight of some of the stones these birds can actually turn, I've never made this observation before at such close range, by the high tide these 600 plus waders were within a few metres of me.

Thanks for the Golden Plover Richard, and for the Turnstone David. 

I never fail to be impressed by photographic skills, and Birds2blog features several photographers who have loads of it, not least of them Noushka Dufort .... 

Aliens on earth!  


Conehead Mantis. Noushka Dufort.

Snouted Grasshopper. Noushka Dufort.

Weird and Wonderful Wildlife....Wonderful Photography. Whatever you do, for the ultimate photographic experience, 'clik the pik'.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Peter. I´m coming from Alicante.. ha.. Great pictures as always. Mantis spectacular.. I hope you´re right.. Cheers..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam....As always, thanks for looking in.

    Ana....Ahhhh, the city and port of Alicante on the Costa Blanca. Good to hear from you Ana.

    ReplyDelete