BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND......................................................MEDITTERANEAN GULLS CONDER POOL PETE WOODRUFF

Sunday 1 December 2013

Too Nice For Anything Else!

The weather yesterday was too nice to be doing anything else, and although I'm not usually a weekend birder, KT only had to utter the words....'are you not out birding today'....and I was off like a shot.

 Red-crested Pochard. Howard Stockdale.

Although the immature drake Scaup was on show again on the canal basin at Glasson Dock along with Pochardthere was no sign of the female RCP. Noted on the Lune Estuary, 5 Bewick's Swan included 2 juvenile, 28 Goldeneye counted, 32 Black-tailed Godwit, and estimates of 550 Golden Plover, 200 Knot, and a Little Egret

Bewick's Swan. Howard Stockdale.

At Conder Green, 7 Goldeneye, 42 Teal, 36 Wigeon, and a Goosander were all on Conder Pool. Two Spotted Redshank were in the creeks, I failed to count the Teal in the creeks here but c.200 Wigeon were in the Conder Estuary channel, 2 Little Egret were on the marsh, and 3 Meadow Pipit noted.

Snow Bunting. Howard Stockdale. 

I noted just 7 Greenfinch, a Little Egret, and a Kestrel at Cockersands where I barely had an hours daylight left by the time I got there and failed to find any Snow Buntings again despite speaking to a birder earlier in the afternoon who had.

Little Grebe.

I counted 12 Little Grebe seen in the area yesterday, with 6 on the Lune Estuary, 5 at Conder Green, and one on the canal basin. 

Thanks to HS for his trio of excellent images, the drake Red-crested Pochard, the ten Cockersands Bewick's Swan, and the Cockersands Snow Bunting. And by way of a change, the non-bird header of a Red Squirrel with my thanks to Paul Foster.

2 comments:

  1. It Seems lie KT was right to send out birding!
    When the sun is out, I can't resist!
    Got a fox 2 days ago!!!
    I love the Snow bunting, that is a bird I would be very happy to see!
    Enjoy your week, Pete!

    ReplyDelete