BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................PLOVER SCAR LIGHT AND BLACK COMBE OVER THE BAY PETE WOODRUFF

Friday 18 April 2014

Birding Limited.

Birding by halves I'm afraid, but it was better than no birding at all, and this wider area - Yellow Wagtail territory - has to be given the full treatment sooner rather than later and that's my intention, but meanwhile....With my time limited on Wednesday I thought I'd give the River Lune a visit and first called briefly at Bull Beck where I had found five Little Ringed Plover last year in a short distance upstream from here but found none today. 

I have no idea what numbers are to be expected in this section of the River Lune, but there appears to be a healthy colony of Sand Martin in mid April this year, a Dipper flew downstream, with 3 Goosander seen. I heard 2 Blackcap, a Chiffchaff, and saw a distant soaring Buzzard.

Down the River Wenning from Hornby, and up the River Lune for no more than a mile from the confluence. I had excellent views of a singing male with a female Blackcap, two Willow Warbler, a Chiffchaff, 4 Reed Bunting, a good number of Sand Martin around but no sign of a colony though I didn't reach Lloyne Bridge, a single Swallow, 2 Common Sandpiper, and 11 Goosander.


White Wagtail Jakob Sigurosson 


Pied Wagtail Simon Hawtin 

On the edge of a flood in the field at the confluence a White Wagtail was conveniently accompanied by a Pied Wagtail which gave an excellent opportunity to take note of the details of plumage variation of the two. 

Many thanks to Jakob and Simon for the White/Pied Wagtail images.

1 comment: