BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Wednesday 28 May 2014

Early Bird/er

I'd had a 4.00am family taxi booking for the airport yesterday morning. I returned from the trip and was at Conder Green by 6.30am....a bit like the milk round days, but we'll leave that one there I think.

The c.20 Black-tailed Godwit seem to have taken a permanent liking to Conder Pool and creeks, and seem reluctant to leave. The circuit at Conder Green was quite lively and I saw 2 Common Sandpiper, though a possibility the same bird duplicated as I had the second sighting in the creeks 20 minutes after the first on Conder Pool but I somehow think there are two birds. I also found 4 Sedge Warbler, heard 3 Song Thrush, 3 Reed Bunting, 2 Whitethroat, and 2 Linnet. There was a 'few' Swift around, and the House Martin were very active around River Winds and Cafe 'd Lune. I must check at the cafe to see if they are happy about the birds which are building nests above the outdoor seating area....not the best of circumstances unfortunately.

Three Mallard females had young in tow, the one with thirteen seen on my last visit here was still a full compliment, the one with nine last visit appeared to be one down at eight, and the other family was new to me and consisted of five. 


Arctic Tern Martin Lofgren

Iv'e not seen any 'terns' on the Lune Estuary this spring yet, though I have noted Arctic Tern reported on/over Colloway Marsh on two occasions recently, which - void of any historical accuracy on my part - was a breeding ground for them in bygone years. The only notes I made yesterday at Glasson Dock were of 4 Little Egret and 5 Eider all hauled out.   


Sanderling. Howard Stockdale.

Despite a lengthy time at Cockersands and a stake out around high tide, no Sanderling were present, but I noted estimates of 220 Ringed Plover, 150 Dunlin, and 4 Turnstone on Plover Scar. On the 'tour', a Wheatear, 5 Skylark, 3 Whitethroat, and 2 Tree Sparrow. Sixteen Stock Dove and 5 Brown Hare were all in the same Abbey Farm field and 2 Little Egret seen.

Thanks to Martin for the Arctic Tern, and to Howard for the Sanderling, ever grateful. As always a 'clik the pik' is highly recommended for all three of the images in this post.

And finally....  


European Bee-eater. Ana Minguez.

Another of those 'cant resist this one' images of a brilliant bird and a brilliant photograph, with much appreciation and thanks to AM at Naturanafotos 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Pete,

    You have a wonderful blog about birds! I can learn here a lot about them.

    I always enjoy watching birds but I have a difficult time taking pictures of them. They are teasing me all the time. My biggest dream is to take picture of a blue heron.

    These are outstanding pictures of birds!

    Best wishes from Kaya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaya....Many thanks for getting in touch, for looking in on Birds2blog, and for your kind comments.

    I'll get back to you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see someone getting out and about Pete, the weather is just so crap here at the moment, birding is hard work :-(

    ReplyDelete