BIRDING THE LUNE ESTUARY THE FOREST OF BOWLAND AND BEYOND.........................................................................LOCAL BREEDING NUTHATCH PETE WOODRUFF

Thursday 19 June 2014

Uplander.

In general a decent day in Bowland on Tuesday, with my first visit to Harrisend Fell since 11 April. 

After two hours here I was beginning to think I was going to have another blank with the species again, but eventually I did find a pair of Stonechat which gave me the enthusiasm needed to continue the search, though a pity no evidence of breeding seen.

Reed Bunting. Howard Stockdale. 

Also of the 13 species noted on Harrisend, a pair of Reed Bunting, 13 Meadow Pipit, 6 Willow Warbler, 2 Goldfinch on thistle seeds, with 2 Swift and a Buzzard over.

A couple of hours on Hawthornthwaite Fell produced another pair of Stonechat, almost certainly the same pair seen here 12 March and 11 April, although as at Harrisend no evidence of any breeding.

Sand Martin Colony. Pete Woodruff.  

Although a 'few' Sand Martin were in the air, in the time I allowed myself here I had no evidence of any approaching this small bank which I was surprised to find about 5 years ago off the track up Hawthornthwaite which they had colonised, there are twelve nest holes - some old - to be seen but not obvious in the photograph.

Eleven species here, notable being, 14 Meadow Pipit, and 4 Wren, one of which appeared to be nest site hunting and moving around with a feather in its bill the size of itself, 3 Buzzard were soaring together overhead.

Calling in at Stoops Bridge in Abbeystead on the way back to Lancaster I heard a singing Garden Warbler, this bird was singing in the same area when I came here on 6 May. Also noted, a Grey Wagtail and a Song Thrush. A little further up the road, the reward of visiting Christ Church was that of 2 Spotted Flycatcher, one at the church, and one at the bungalow, also of note a Mistle Thrush.

                             
Small Heath Warren Baker 


The only butterfly species of the day was 4 Small Heath on Harrisend, with one seen on Hawthornthwaite.

Marc Heath Wildlife Photography: Golden ringed Dragonfly &emdash; Golden ringed Dragonfly - Sissinghurst
Golden-ringed Dragonfly Marc Heath  

And the only dragonfly of the day was the large Golden-ringed Dragonfly on Hawthornthwaite, my first dragon this year.

 Speckled Wood. C.Woodruff (Mobile).

This Speckled Wood visited our garden recently and took a liking to the African Daisy osteospermum.

Thanks to Warren and Marc for the butterfly/dragonfly photographs, and to Howard for the Reed Buntings at Jeremy Lane on 31 May obviously feeding young in the nest....All excellent images and much appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see the dragonfly about Peter,not had any myself yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourite dragonflies Pete. Hopefully I can connect with one myself soon.

    ReplyDelete